Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

In car camera?

Options
  • 27-10-2009 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭

I remember seeing a thread ages ago about a In car camera, It did GPS speed the whole lot.. I think I found it on a UK website at £200, But they have changed the name for the UK market Id say just so we dont go on Ebay and buy a cheaper USA one..

the uk one is called a roadhawlk - http://www.roadhawk.co.uk/

any one know what the US one is called?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Ah i remember seen this on road wars :P

It was American companies putting these in your car so they will lower your insurance policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

maybe not what your looking for?

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.24358

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Armadillo

Was it DriveCam?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I've posted one or two from my van, www.youtube.com/vantasks

It's a Korean manufactured one but quite rare to find here. I got my one off Ebay but the seller isn't around anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

cormie wrote: »

It's a Korean manufactured one but quite rare to find here. I got my one off Ebay but the seller isn't around anymore.

That is fantastic, had a look at a few of ur vids, how much did it cost you?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

cormie wrote: »

one or two vids...there must be 30 of them :)
    Do you know the make and cost off hand for one of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Can't remember what the US one was called but I think it cost the boards poster who bought it more than £200.
    He posted a video about a old woman driving a car at night with no lights and got more interest the the camera system than the video :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

If I may step in here...

...I'm pretty sure cormie has an X-Driven DRS-1100, I know that's what my one is.

Still available on e-Bay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/XDriven-DRS-1100-GPS-Driving-Recording-System-X-Driven_W0QQitemZ320440240396QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4a9bba090c

Saruman wrote: »
    Can't remember what the US one was called but I think it cost the boards poster who bought it more than £200.
    He posted a video about a old woman driving a car at night with no lights and got more interest the the camera system than the video :D

Hehe, that was me :o

Yeah Cabaal, I've uploaded a fair few to youtube, a lot are just testers, but I've only posted one or two on boards is what I meant :D

Just checked up on it, I bought it for $119 + shipping (Had it shipped to Canada to a friend for me). This was a LOT cheaper than I could find it for elsewhere.

The manufacturer site is www.ubone.co.kr and the one I have is the DRS1100. I've had a look since and it'll probably cost about €200 to get it to Ireland.

If anyone finds it at a good price, pop a message here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Search no more......

http://www.expansys.com/d.aspx?i=177703

Roadhawk looks like exactly the same unit - just more expensive. Seriously thinking of getting one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭zzap64

These look pretty good. Thinking of getting one. Ideally I'd like to be able to mount it towards the back of the car so it would record what's going on out the front window, but also the rear (via the rear view mirror), although I guess it would have to be mounted fairly high to be able to get the same view that the driver sees out the rear mirror.

Anybody tried this?

To get the same view in the mirror as the driver has, the camera would have to be mounted where the driver's eyes are.

Anyway, the resolution/quality of the video from these cameras isn't great, so you'd get very little usable detail in the small part of the video that would be through the mirror.

Probably better to get 2, and mount them on the front and rear windscreens; that's what I intend to do anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Wouldnt mind getting one but powering it is the problem! Where did you run the cable?

I've just got mine connected to cigarette adaptor.

With regards to the front and back view, there is another one that has two cameras, although it's more to record driver activity than what's out the back window as I don't think the quality would be good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Ah yeah put thats a pain in the arse. I would like to have it wired up so you cant see the power at all.

Would be nice to have!

Mine's also currently just plugged into the cigarette lighter.
    When I finally get one of these yokes, I plan to wire it to an ignition switched supply so that it comes on and off with the keyswitch. I'll also fit a manual switch to power it when the car is unattended away from home.
    At that stage, it's not that big a deal to run the power supplies around to the rear windscreen for a rear facing camera.

I had one of the '2 camera' ones, but it gave endless trouble borking memory cards, and the rear facing camera only really gave a decent view of the inside of the car.

Advertisement