Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VPN connection problems with Router or ISP

Options
  • 27-10-2009 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have been unable to connect to my work VPN from home for a few months now. The VPN client connects successfully but there are no incoming packets and I cannot ping any computers on the network.

This is the same on both my laptop and desktop so its not a computer configuration. At the weekend, I was in Limerick (I live in Dublin)and was able to connect without any problems, so I believe it's either my ISP (UPC) or the router configuration.

I connected to the router the other day but couldnt see any obvious settings for configuring the router firewall. Its the same Wireless router UPC have given to everyone (It's small, white and only has one aerial). Any suggestions on what I could do to fix this?

Thanks in advance :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭johnmd

Do the VPN logs indicate that the tunnnel has successfully established.
    Also is there any existing configuration set to intercept IPSEC traffic on the local router.
    What type of VPN client are you using and what type of router.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

johnmd wrote: »
    Do the VPN logs indicate that the tunnnel has successfully established.
    Also is there any existing configuration set to intercept IPSEC traffic on the local router.
    What type of VPN client are you using and what type of router.
    Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I'm using Forticlient as my VPN client. There aren't any errors when I click connect and it says "Negotiation Successful" so I don't think so.

Not sure of the make and model of router, I think UPC ship DLink routers but will need to confirm when I get home at lunch.

This did work once upon a time, but that was a few months ago. I'm the techie in the house and I haven't changed the router settings so no one else would have either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Have seen this on the Eircom/Netopia routers, check the router settings for VPN / IPSEC pass through. (Enable it)

If you can get the make and model of the unit, I should be able to confirm the setting.

Hi guys,

Thanks once again for your replies. My router is a NETGEAR WGR614v7. I did a bit of googling on it and it appears that the VPN problems are caused by the firmware.

Havent found a solution yet but will keep digging.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Looks like the first release of the WGR614v7 firmware works with VPN pass through

Download & load from http://kbserver.netgear.com/release_notes/d102917.asp

Cheers, Joe

• Advertisement

joePC wrote: »
    Looks like the first release of the WGR614v7 firmware works with VPN pass through

Download & load from http://kbserver.netgear.com/release_notes/d102917.asp

Cheers, Joe

Hi Joe,

Thanks will try this out and report back on how it works.

John

Hi Joe,

I've rolled back to that Firmware but I still cant get onto anything on the VPN. I'm using FortiClient and in the monitor section, there are no incoming packets at all.

Any other suggestions for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭sicruise

Is your home network on the same subnet as your work network?

Try change your subnet and see if this works. Vista can handle a VPN connection on the same subnet but XP cannot without implementing your own routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Maybe you can get the IT guys in work (if its not you) to run the extended ping command when the tunnel is up (assuming this is a Cisco VPN). Sounds very simple but at least you'll know if the tunnel IS actually established correctly.

Personally I have used VPN Clients on UPC, Eircom, BT and Vodafone. I know UPC have really messed about with the supplied routers firmware etc.

Advertisement