Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car revs on it's own

Options
  • 27-10-2009 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

I'm driving a '00 Seat Leon 1.4. Recently i've noticed that when i start the car, it revs away on its own. This also happens when i stop at lights or am parking...the engine revs away without me touching the accelerator.

Any particular reason for this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭mikkael

There are quite a few possibilites.

Idle control valve needs cleaning / accelerator sticking / emissions probe ( lambda ) feeding false info to the computer ( ECU ) / ECU defective ...

There's also the throttle position sensor, crankcase sensor, mass airflow filter ( maf ) and lots of possibilites of too much air or fuel. It could also be related to the movement, though I think that would manifest itself more in the car conking out.

At least being 00 it should have decent enough diagnostics.

Good luck,

Tony.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

all of the above but I would first check for cracked air intake hose between the MAF and the trottle body.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Air con and power steering can cause engine to rev too without accelerator being touched.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

MAF (mass-air-flow sensor) would be a common problem and can easy be tested.

In for example a BMW, you can disconnect the cable to the MAF and it'll asume default values then. So should it stop doing funny things after you disconnected your cable, it's the MAF.

But any of the above can really be the case.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭crocro

possible loose or disconnected vacuum hose.

• Advertisement
Advertisement