Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Roundabouts..

Options
  • 27-10-2009 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi,

Got my provisional recently. My instructor says (DTT book too) I should be following the 12 'o clock rule when entering roundabouts, ie keeping left for the first and second exit, and right line for the third and fourth...

I 've noticed drivers in their 40s and 50s stay in right lane for second exit and when Im in the left lane for the same exit, drive past them and omg... they literally blast on me... sounding horns, making faces at me..nd stuff like that...

Was wondering y this is....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Probably because they see a roundabout as an opportunity to pass a learner driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

trad wrote: »
    Probably because they see a roundabout as an opportunity to pass a learner driver.

Good answer,

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It depends on the roundabout, the vast majority of roundabouts have a left lane for first and second exit and right lane for 3rd and 4th exit.

However some roundabouts have a left lane for first exit only and right lane for 2nd (straight on), 3rd and 4th.

The problems accur when you get idiots you do not position themselfs correctly on the road so they either sit in the right lane and go straight on when they should be on the left OR they sit between the right and left and decide to do whatever they want,.

Basically the majority of the time its down to poor driving skills,

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Carstuck

Most of them never got driving lessons & don't understand how roundabouts are suppose to work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Moved to Learning to Drive forum

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

trad wrote: »

Which results in them...
    - Nearly causing an accident
    - Breaking the law
    - being a feckin muppet

:)

Everyone started off as a learner driver and was annoyed when other drivers never gave them a chance yet when people take down their L plates they appear to see it as some god given right to be a gob****e and not give L drivers a chance.

Sad really, and for the record I'm not a L driver :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

If all roundabouts have 4 exits at 90 degrees to each other with the same number of lanes at each exit you could have "rules" that can be understood and used. Every roundabout is different and should be approached in the context of its' particular layout. In the part of the world where I live there is a roundabout with 4 exits where 2 of the exit roads run parallel, another with 4 exits where one exit is at 45 degrees to the roundabout, and another with 6 exits, one of them a shopping centre car park.

The one thing you will discover about the "rules of the road" is if you are involved in a collision and you go to Court quoting the ROTR you will be very quickly told that they have no legal standing, they are merely suggestions.

OP, I know it's a pain in the butt learning to drive and doing what your instructor is telling you to be correct only to see everyone else doing somethin different but you have to understand that the people who issue the ROTR also run the driving test so you have to drive their way in order to pass your driving test. Then you can apply common sense to your driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement