Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some advice for applying

Options
  • 27-10-2009 3:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

I'm two years out of school since I done my leaving.
    I decided to take a year out and it has turned into 2. Anyway, now I'm getting myself ready for applying for next year.

Do I just apply via a CAO or can I go direct? I wasn't too sure on going direct as I would be a first year.

http://www.itb.ie/StudyatITB/bn001.html
    Thats the course i'm looking at and eventually moving onto a bachelors degree, Bn301.

Carlow IT do something similar but ITB is near me so that makes life easier :)
    On another note. How are the fees? I'm sure there are grants and I'll check this out with the social office tomorrow.

All advice really appreciated :) Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Same happened me, 1 year turned into 3

But anyway, you apply through CAO, as far as i know you can't apply direct for this course but it couldn't hurt.

Fees aren't set by the college. But this year it was €1500 for the "Student Services fee" and the Govt. are thinking about introducing full fees, i'd keep a watch out about that if i were you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Same happened me, 1 year turned into 3

But anyway, you apply through CAO, as far as i know you can't apply direct for this course but it couldn't hurt.

Fees aren't set by the college. But this year it was €1500 for the "Student Services fee" and the Govt. are thinking about introducing full fees, i'd keep a watch out about that if i were you

ah I can join the protests :pac:
    1500 means thats the max I should *in theory* pay?
    Only thing is I have very low points so this will affect me getting into this course I think. I don't even remember exactly how many points I have lol

Was on carlow it site and it had a breakdown of costs at around 900 euro? is this old figures in comparison or whats up there?

When can you apply for a cao?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

congo_90 wrote: »
    Was on carlow it site and it had a breakdown of costs at around 900 euro? is this old figures in comparison or whats up there?

When can you apply for a cao?

€900 is the old figure. It was €1500 this year and I wouldn't be surprised if they went up again if fees aren't reintroduced. You may qualify for a grant and wouldnt have to pay this €1500.

Its a very good course.

I dont know much about CAO dates but on the ITB website they list these deadlines...
    • 1 February 2010, 5.15 pm - Closing date for applications
    • 1 May 2010, 5.15 pm - Deadline for receipt of late applications (extra fee to be paid)
    • 1 July 2010, 5.15 pm - Deadline for receipt of change-of-mind applications (provided a valid application was made in the first place)

There are special open days that you can go to that will show you the kind of projects you would be doing in ITB.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

One thing you should look into if you've been on jobseekers while not in school, is the BTEA (back to education allowance) That'll be the full jobseekers benefit, 204 euro a week i think, and it won't be means tested, all you need to apply is that you've been on Jobseekers allowance or benefit for the past 9-12 months, but you do need the college to sign a letter saying that you've commenced a course, meaning you won't be able to apply until the middle of september.
    I'm not certain, but i think you can earn part time pay on top of the BTEA, now that's a lot of €€€ coming in as a student, you'll have no trouble dealing with the financial side of student life anyways.

• Advertisement

I was on Jsa for about 3-6months then took up part time work that meant I couldn't stay on jsa. Anyways thanks for the info I'll check it out on Tues when the social office re-opens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 LaughingJoker

If you havent got enough points then you could do a PLC (Post Leaving Cert)/FETAC course in the subject you want to study in ITB. You can get into ITB on the points you can get from FETAC.

Advertisement