Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to improve French vocabulary?

Options
  • 26-10-2009 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Im in 5th year and doing higher level french, and I find that in comprehensions and listening etc, I really dont know that much vocabulary.

How can I improve?
    I go to a website where they have a french word of the day and learn it...anything else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Not trying to be funny here but actually read a dictionary. I'm in sixth year and one day was bored in class and started reading the dictionary. When I came across a 'good' word I learnt it. Now I have words I wouldn't know before.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

If your given a comprehension, read it and as soon as you don't understand a word u write it down once and keep going. It takes ages but say you get a comprehension for homework and you didn't even get to the questions because you were going through it, thats way better than just plucking random phrases from the comprehensioin which you can barely understand. Also, buy a novel and try and read through it. After every chapter, write down what happened in english, and then try and translate that same thing in french

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 SweetEnough

Agree with zoom!
    Just have a sheet where you write all your new words on and learn them off, if they're verbs do a quick check to see if you would recognise it in a different tense.
    We're doing 1-2 reading comprehensions each week and going through them quite well for vocab/phrases.

Just practice lots of Reading Comp's and you'll notice your vocab increases loads after just a couple. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭NightOwl91

Yeah I agree with zoom also.
    Im in 6th year and I barely did any study last year.
    Now, my french has improved drastically over 2 months.
    All because I wrote words down I didnt recognize etc.
    I learn off 5-10 words a day and I can tell you, it really makes a difference.
    And pretty much no effort is required.
    Not only am I delighted to have found the meaning of a word I didnt recognize, but I remember it because it was a discovery lol wow, I sound weird but thats how Im studying vocab for the LC anyways.
    Im keeping a notebook of vocabulary for french and I bring it EVERYWHERE. Literally! But Im just helping myself learn!
    Also, you should take out your favourite movie, one you know off by heart, and put french subtitles on it. It is also really easy to recall as it is your favourite movie.
    Im going to try this at the weekend myself.
    Im opting for Twilight this weekend lol

Anyway, Bon Chance! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭foxymm

One method you could try and adopt is when you are in class doing reading comprehensions or even as a RC as a homework assignment is to have a blank 'grid sheet' with you. ie: go into MS Word and insert a table so you have say 20 rows and 5 or 6 columns and print it out!! It's a great way to learn new verbs particularly as they come thick 'n' fast throughout the course.

The best way however is to learn new vocabularly thematically! Entitle a Word document page like so: famille, Logement, Éducation, Santé, Environment etc and keep it as a separate folder on your computer and TYPE the new words out. Typing can be time consuming but it works very well. Otherwise print out these blank sheets with their "theme" and handwrite them in as new meet new vocab! It facilitates retention of the word for future use in exams, written productions and comprehensions.

Anyway in class you should have a dedicated vocab notebook/hardback.

Bonne continuation et bonne chance avec vos études en francais!

From a French teacher...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Mackleton

Hi OP, not sure of your level so maybe it's a bit advanced for you but the website of "Le Monde" newspaper is great for reading a short article here and there, and picking up vocab that is in popular and frequent use.

www.lemonde.fr

Bonne Chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

http://jt.france2.fr/20h/
    you might guess what the words mean from context and with the video.

Advertisement