Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dream 12 *Spoilers*

Options
  • 26-10-2009 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭

Not the best Dream show but enjoyable nonetheless. Took place within a hexagonal cage. Some fights are on youtube on this guys channel. http://www.youtube.com/user/19054771 He's also got some older Dream, k1 and Pride fights up, some of which deserve a look. Results from Wikipedia.

Anyone see it?

Heavyweight bout: Alistair Overeem vs. James Thompson
    Overeem defeated Thompson via submission (guillotine choke) at 0:33 of round 1.
    Lightweight bout: Eddie Alvarez vs. Katsunori Kikuno
    Alvarez defeated Kikuno via submission (arm triangle choke) at 3:42 of round 2.
    Welterweight bout: Marius Zaromskis vs. Myeon Ho Bae
    Zaromskis defeated Bae via KO (Head Kick) at 0:19 of round 1.
    Middleweight bout: Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Zelg Galesic
    Sakuraba defeated Galesic via submission (kneebar) at 1:40 of round 1.
    Middleweight bout: Katsuyori Shibata vs. Tokimitsu Ishizawa
    Shibata defeated Ishizawa via TKO (Punches) at 4:52 of round 1.
    Middleweight bout: Tarec Saffiedine vs. Dong Sik Yoon
    Yoon defeated Saffiedine via split decision at 5:00 of round 3.
    Featherweight bout: Chase Beebe vs. Yoshiro Maeda
    Maeda defeated Beebe via submission (rear naked choke) at 3:26 of round 1.
    Lightweight bout: Kuniyoshi Hironaka vs. Won Sik Park
    Hironaka defeated Park via TKO (Corner Stoppage) at 5:00 of round 1.
    Featherweight bout: Keisuke Fujiwara vs. Tomoya Miya****a
    Miya****a defeated Fujiwara via unanimous decision at 5:00 of round 3.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

The hexagon cage looked the business. Zaromkis 3 Ko's in a row via headkick. Love Schiavello's commentary the big kabosh. Overeem didn't have much to do against Thompson. Alvarez was disappointing but finished well.
    What are people's verdicts on the cage btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭chordtype

I'm all for the cage. It looks the part and the white canvas makes it look awesome imo. That was always my biggest annoyance with Pride, the ring and ropes. Hated seeing fighters getting carried towards the center of the ring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Not to get too caught up in the cage v ring thing but I always associated mma and japan with rings and actually like it as a change to the cage and us events.

There are subtle tactical things that can be used in both that I like, and I think dreams use of the cage is very clever, at a time when mma in Japan needs a boost in terms of viewers. They took the wwe model .... and before any one jumps on me and tears me a new one just think about it.

What dream have done is exactly the equivalent of of wwe's hell in a cell or whatever, a once a year gimmick designed to draw interest that would not normally be there, be it an american audience or what ever.

Haven't seen the ratings yet but it will be interesting to see how this effected them.

Edit: the event itself, i'm half way through watching it and it's the usual dream standard of quality.

Oh FYI in another 1st for Dream they went 3x5minute for this ;-)

Did anyone spot the ref catch the mouth guard after the Chase Beebe vs. Yoshiro Maeda fight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

calex71 wrote: »
    Did anyone spot the ref catch the mouth guard after the Chase Beebe vs. Yoshiro Maeda fight :D

LOL, that was class. I also thaoght Thompson singing Overeem's theme music (tonight's gona be a good night) was gas. Was that John Hathaway in Thompson's corner? Thompson is a funny guy, met him over in Germany after the UFC 99 event.

4565134775a11148689940l.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Maynard

Thompson looks like he may have gotten the most hideous ear in all of MMA sorted out? Can't say I noticed it in the Overeem fight, and it usually follows you around the room like the Mona Lisa.

Now if he could sort his "bull in a china shop" approach to fighting...

Didn't Kimbo sort that ear out for him a while back ;)
    Nasty nasty memories of that fight just came back to me :eek:

Edit : here is that last round of that fight, dont look if you're squeamish
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=084zBG7_6hA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭wandy

Zaromskis ruled his fight!!!

wandy wrote: »
    Zaromskis ruled his fight!!!

He needs to name his leg "The Decapitator"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

If Eddie Alvarez was in the UFC I don't think he'd be in the top 3 maybe not even the top 5. I think BJ would destroy him. Although he has decent wrestling and submissions and knock out power in both hands I think nay of the pros like Kenny, Diego etc. would have little trouble weathering the storm and taking him out. He is exciting to watch though. Wish Greg Loughran would have KOEd him :P)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

LOL, that was class. I also thaoght Thompson singing Overeem's theme music (tonight's gona be a good night) was gas. Was that John Hathaway in Thompson's corner? Thompson is a funny guy, met him over in Germany after the UFC 99 event.

Yeah it was Hathaway in his corner as both train at London Shootfighters. Zaromkis trains there aswell. Like to see how Aoki would fare out in a cage and without the pants for traction.

In relation to Alvarez I feel he was a bit sluggish and ring rust was clearly evident since he fought Imada in Bellator. Would like to see him given a fight in Strikeforce as there is an agreement between them and Dream but I'm not sure with his Bellator commitments. Would like to see him against Melandez or Thomson and that would be a test as they are the best LW in US outside UFC/WEC.

Alverez just didn't look like he was at the races did he? Good win for him all the same.

Like to see Aoki in a cage too, his next fight is against kawakiri on NYE. Can't wait for that one.

Edit : just saw this one for Dynamite on NYE ........... Tim Sylvia will fight on New Year's Eve at "Dynamite!! 2009" against either Hong-Man Choi or Alistair Overeem , I know which of those two i want if i was Tim :D

Advertisement