Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illness forces Lesnar out of UFC 106

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

i cry CHICKEN!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

scudzilla wrote: »
    i cry CHICKEN!!!

Nah Swine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭chordtype

Sucks to be the UFC right now. That was there next huge money show. Brock and Tito on the same card. Does anybody think Carwin will still fight on the show. If he did it wouldn't be against a big name surely.
    :confused:
    I cant believe they would consider putting Forrest in the MAIN EVENT.

Someone tell Machida to hurry up and heal up so we can sort this rematch **** out and stop everyone going on about how Shogun was robbed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Putting my tin foil hat on this could be just a play by Brock to get on the end of year show.

i seriously doubt they've pulled him to be on the end of year, Dana is pretty straight when it comes to that shiit.

I can't see Carwin getting a quality opponent at such short notice, nobody really available

• Advertisement

What i don't get in situations like this how they say ''he took the fight at 2 weeks notice'' etc.. about the guy that steps in and how there not near 100%

Now i know these guys need time off, but since they are professionals, why aren't they training to say 50-60% for the majority of the year, maybe a few weeks of, after a fight.

What i mean is, shouldn't all the main fighters be keeping themselves in near 100% condition if there not just out of a fight?

Why should Shane take another fighter? If he were to lose then he'll prob lose his title shot, if i were him i'd just sit tight and wait for Brock

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

What i don't get in situations like this how they say ''he took the fight at 2 weeks notice'' etc.. about the guy that steps in and how there not near 100%

Now i know these guys need time off, but since they are professionals, why aren't they training to say 50-60% for the majority of the year, maybe a few weeks of, after a fight.

What i mean is, shouldn't all the main fighters be keeping themselves in near 100% condition if there not just out of a fight?

Anyone who has trained full on for an upcoming fight will tell you how much effort physically and emotionally it takes and to try keep yourself at that level all year round is just impossible. Being in shape and being fight ready are two seperate things. IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭chordtype

--Kevin Iole just reported that Brock Lesnar is out of UFC 106. Dana White got the word today from Lesnar that he had been suffering from a severe flu for three-and-a-half weeks and hadn't been able to shake it, and at this point decided he didn't have enough time left to get in top shape for the fight. Nothing more has been said but the plan right now is for the fight to take place on Jan. 2 in Las Vegas.
    We'll have more as the day goes on.

From Dave Meltzer
    http://www.f4wonline.com

108 it looks to be then. Always one of the most enjoyable shows is the year 'end' one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

I hope Lesnar is okay and makes a full recovery. Three weeks is a long time to have the flu.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Has Mir recovered yet?

I'd actually like to see that more than carwin v brock :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I think there's some great matches at HW now with at least 5 top contenders.

Nogueira
    Mir
    Dos Santos
    Valesquez
    Carwin

also Todd Duffee? depending on how he does in his next fight.

I'd like to see Carwin v Lesnar at a later event. Maybe even in Ireland? Never gonna happen. :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭theT

a bit dubious to say the least, Maybe Brock is just doing what he can to hold on to his belt a little bit longer...... Carwin will destroy him be it in November or January, Brocks title reign is over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Lord Muck

i'm sick of hearing Kimbo every week on TUF waiting in the wings for a fight , throw him in with Carwin

Lord Muck wrote: »
    i'm sick of hearing Kimbo every week on TUF waiting in the wings for a fight , throw him in with Carwin

That wouldn't be a fight that would just be Kimbo getting his ass handed to him, there is no way Dana should put that joke on a main card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Lord Muck

theT wrote: »
    That wouldn't be a fight that would just be Kimbo getting his ass handed to him, there is no way Dana should put that joke on a main card

.it would sell tickets and PPV's subscriptions would be high with Kimbo on board. I think Kimbo would be battered too by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

calex71 wrote: »
    Has Mir recovered yet?

I didn't want to be the one to say it, but would be a great fight. Only thing is that we'd be back to interim titles and they are a waste of time.

I didn't want to be the one to say it, but would be a great fight. Only thing is that we'd be back to interim titles and they are a waste of time.

I dont want to see that one until after Carwin takes the belt from Brock, Mir and Carwin for the HW title can only be good...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

scudzilla wrote: »
    i cry CHICKEN!!!

Yeah, if you line up 4 fights, and 3 of them are against former champs, and one is against an unproven prospect, i know which one i would duck.

Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

calex71 wrote: »
    Has Mir recovered yet?

great Fight to see but a horrible choice for the ufc. In the event of mir beating carwin that really leaves cain valasquez as the only real contender to brock. Id say maybe Mir Kongo might be moved to the main event and Carwin will get thrown an easy win to keep him no. 1 contender.

• Advertisement

Here's what Carwin has to say in his Blog...

Everyone from the UPS driver to my boss has asked me how I feel about Brock pulling out of the fight on November the 21st. My initial reaction was disappointment. My heart honestly sank as I thought about my family and friends making the trip, and all the training, preparation and excitement I had for this fight.

Last week was the first week that I actually started feeling better from a strain of the swine flu. I had lost over 15 pounds (something I could not afford to loose) and had just pulled some muscles in my leg during training. As 104 approached my manager said, “we should be thankful we are not fighting, from your re-broken nose to the leg, this wasn’t our time”. As I prepared to go to 104, I began slowly realizing what was ahead of me; I needed to be home training and rehabbing, not traveling and missing days of necessary time with my Team. I was due to be fighting for the UFC Heavyweight title. I called Jason back and said you are right, but I can’t go to LA I need to train.

I was reminded about my commitments to the fans at Kmart and the Q&A, and I knew I had to go. In LA I was reminded exactly why we do this sport. Fans were all over the place and every interaction was a positive one. While at Kmart I meet a young man who competes in the Special Olympics and he said he looked up to us fighters. I was so taken back by the fact that he put us fighters on a pedestal. Here was this young man who defied incredible odds in life to reach the Olympics and he pushes himself every day to do things you and I take for granted. I was bitching about a flu, my leg (that would heal), and taking time away from training and this young man looks up to me? He gave me his Octagon necklace and I do not think he realized what an impact he made on me.

I knew right then that I was going to suck it up and drive on. Edward and the rest of Team Carwin would be the fuel to carry me through the rough times and make sure that come fight night I will be the champion. Edward’s life has been nothing but full of twist and turns of which he has very little choice on what happened to him, his choice is to not let his twist or turns take him off the his path in life.

Fighting for the UFC belt is my path and honestly Brock coming down with his illness only gives me more time to be in that much better shape. It is a blessing if you want to know the truth. I would have never pulled out of the fight. I would wheel myself to the cage if it was my choice. I know this is my destiny and I don’t need everything to be perfect I just need my opportunity to show the world what I can do and who I am.

So today when my phone rang and it was Kevin Iole from Yahoo sports asking for my comment on Brock pulling out of the fight I was disappointed and in shock. I had just convinced myself to walk through hell to fight this guy and a respected member of the media was asking for a comment. I immediately called my manager who informed me that it was news to him as well but for me to stay calm, don’t talk to anyone and wait for his call. My wife and I were in shock, it was like the opposite of when we got the news that we were fighting for the title. I wanted nothing more then for Kevin to be wrong.

30 minutes go by and Jason calls me back to say he was able to reach the UFC matchmaker and the fight was not happening and that Brock had been ill for “6 weeks”. He informed me that all the UFC executives were in the TUF tryouts and we really needed to sit tight until we could hear from them what the next steps were.

As I write this I still do not know what is in store for me in the near future. I have my own training wounds that need to heal, I have teammates preparing for fights and they need my help, and I want to be ready for whatever the UFC brings my way. I am not the star of the show, I really do not have any say in the matter. My job is to be ready when they need me, I will be. I pray that Brock gets better soon and that he and I can put this fight together. The fans want this fight and so do I. So we will just have to wait and see what the UFC has in mind for Team Carwin.

As I said I feel blessed to have the extra time to rehab my injuries and recover from the flu. I think that I am blessed to have an amazing team of people helping me and supporting me that it really doesn’t matter about the twist and turns of life because I know I am on the right path. If Edward can so can I. Who can really complain about your dreams being delayed a bit? I am lucky to be fighting for the best fans in the World, I am lucky to have an amazing family and the best coaches and team mates in the game.

Thank you to my amazing sponsors like Max Muscle, Warrior Wear and Beaver Buzz Energy for supporting me full time.

-Shane

Source : http://www.shane-carwin.com/profiles/blogs/my-reaction

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

either way lesnar will ko/tko him within the first 3 rounds, sick or not :p

Advertisement