Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ag imirt chártaí

• 26-10-2009 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

So what Irish have we got for playing cards.

Diamond: Muileata
    Club: Triuf
    Heart: Hairt/Hart
    Spade: Spéireata

An t-aon Muileata: The Ace of Diamonds
    Rí Hairt: King of Hearts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Cuilead/jack
    Mámh/trump

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Caoch (nó Dall) - Blind

Is chuimhin liom bheidh ag imirt Poker as Gaeilge, ach ní raibh aistriúcháin crinn againn. Rudaí mar 'teach lán', 'rith' srl...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

This is ridiculous, the Apprentice is on and I still wana learn Irish :rolleyes:

Came across this about card game 120 with Conradh na Gaeilge! I wonder is it still going on?

http://www.anclub.ie/cartai/treoir_do_110.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Ceilteach

Hi Pog,
    Just a quick correction for you,
    it’s ag imirt cártaí with no séimhiú on cártaí, it’s a common enough botún, I’d imagine it comes from the idea that imirt is a feminine noun and therefore requires a séimhiú on a noun succeeding it but this is not the case with any of the verbal nouns once ag is involved:
    ag imirt peile

the only exception I can think of off-hand is ag fail bháis. Again, don’t wish to be pedantic but you seem interested in improving caighdeán do chuid Gaeilge but feel free to tell to p155 0ff!

Hm that is strange. I learned that 'ag imirt chartaí' is one of the exceptions to that rule - similarly, 'ag cur fhataí'.. there are meant to be a few pl. nouns following verbal noun that get lenited.

yep and you can comment away on anything I write in Irish- I can promise I'll never take offence! I'm grateful actually! Grmma!

• Advertisement

http://www.acmhainn.ie/tearmai/seimhiu.htm

At the bottom of this most horrible grammar document on séimhiú that I got from micilín muc here couple of months back, it says that ag imirt cártaí and ag imirt chártaí are both used in the dialects. So they are both grand.

pog it wrote: »
    http://www.acmhainn.ie/tearmai/seimhiu.htm

At the bottom of this most horrible grammar document on séimhiú that I got from micilín muc here couple of months back, it says that ag imirt cártaí and ag imirt chártaí are both used in the dialects. So they are both grand.

Fair play, that's not one of the exceptions i'd known before, i'd seen the otehr few alright. I'd just sound a note of caution about using canúintí as a reason for saying something. Unless you're intending on using one canúint and one canúint only ó thaobh na gramadaí de you're better off sticking to the caighdeán, other wise you end up saying stuff like bhí mé ag caint leis an bhfear sa ngairdín .
    Cheers though, one more little píosa eolais domsa!

Yep I am trying to avoid the Caighdeán and stay as close to Conamara Irish if I can, but inevitably I will be mixing them up along the way.. can't avoid it really! Mar shampla, I was told when I'd written 'botún' elsewhere that 'dearmad' is the Conamara Irish for 'mistake'! I'll get it down eventually I hope.

Deacair go leor le déanamh! Maith th agus Go n-éir leat!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭pops

Cuileada Muileadta - Jack of Diamonds (always like saying that).

• Advertisement
Advertisement