Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tyres

Options
  • 26-10-2009 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recomend a hard wearing safe tyre ? I have Semprets on at the moment but after only about 10k all 4 will need changing very shortly. I have gotten up to 30k on different tyres before but can't remember what make they were. They will be going on a 1.4 astra so its not as if they will be getting any stick. I'd expect to be paying between 70 or 80 Euro a corner less if its possible, there 195-60-15 thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Carstuck

I have firestone on mine & I thing they are suppose to be good. I had tyres before that wore fast & it was due to the steering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Did you have you alignment done when you got the tyres last time? There's no way they should be wearing out in 10k unless something is amiss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Its not because of the car, the tracking and balancing are fine all 4 tyres wore evenly. They were a good tyre while they lasted (good grip) but they must have a very soft compoud I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

O.A.P wrote: »
    They were a good tyre while they lasted (good grip) but they must have a very soft compoud I think.

You've got it there - Good grip generally means soft rubber means short life. Long life means hard rubber can mean poor grip (as the rubber never heats up enough to get decent grip)

It's up to you what you want, grip or a long life tyre.

ianobrien wrote: »
    You've got it there - Good grip generally means soft rubber means short life. Long life means hard rubber can mean poor grip (as the rubber never heats up enough to get decent grip)

It's up to you what you want, grip or a long life tyre.
    A happy meidum is what I'm looking for. I'll pay for something safe but expect 20 to 30k from a set of tyres doing normal everyday driving.

• Advertisement

Were the tyres swapped over mid-wear? 10k for front and back to wear is mad. Unless they were driven very hard?

I have low profiles on my car. Soft enough compound and i have 22k kms on them now and they are good for another 10k at least. They are dunlop sport maxx and if they can be had in your size they are worth a punt. Very good grip and low road noise. Might cost you a few quid but they've been the best I've come across

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

The semperits you have are probably 'comfort life' or a derivative of them, they do wear very fast, very fast. Perelli 2500 are a hard wearing tyre from my experience and grip well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

I'd recommend Federal as a brand. My last car had Federal tyres on it when I bought it. They weren't brand newwhen I got the car and I got over 35k miles out of them so they would probably be good for 40k miles. After that set I changed wheels and tyres and went with Federal low profile tyres. The wore out quicker (about 30k miles) but you would expect that. They wouldn't be the best for grip but wouldn't be the worst either I reckon. If you aren't dogging the car or carrying/towing heavy loads etc. I reckon they should be safe enough for everyday driving. They seem to be plentiful available from the outlets too.

EPM wrote: »
    Were the tyres swapped over mid-wear? 10k for front and back to wear is mad. Unless they were driven very hard?

I have low profiles on my car. Soft enough compound and i have 22k kms on them now and they are good for another 10k at least. They are dunlop sport maxx and if they can be had in your size they are worth a punt. Very good grip and low road noise. Might cost you a few quid but they've been the best I've come across
    Yes I changed front to back after Christmass and after I got a punture last week decided to swich again because there was f..k all left on the front. Then when I had a look this morning I saw the back tyres were just as bad. The car is only used at the weekend so about 5 to 5 and a half thousand miles a year or less. I'll have a look for the Dunlop tyres thanks.

kermitpwee wrote: »
    The semperits you have are probably 'comfort life' or a derivative of them, they do wear very fast, very fast. Perelli 2500 are a hard wearing tyre from my experience and grip well.
    Thanks for that I'll check them out. Comfort life? not if a normal car has to change tyres twice a year, where is the comfort in that .:D

• Advertisement

I'd recommend Federal as a brand. My last car had Federal tyres on it when I bought it. They weren't brand newwhen I got the car and I got over 35k miles out of them so they would probably be good for 40k miles. After that set I changed wheels and tyres and went with Federal low profile tyres. The wore out quicker (about 30k miles) but you would expect that. They wouldn't be the best for grip but wouldn't be the worst either I reckon. If you aren't dogging the car or carrying/towing heavy loads etc. I reckon they should be safe enough for everyday driving. They seem to be plentiful available from the outlets too.
    I'll look them up cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭746watts

I use Hankook tyres and get 25k miles from the fronts with more than legal thread left. They have good grip too. Paid €68 each for them.

746watts wrote: »
    I use Hankook tyres and get 25k miles from the fronts with more than legal thread left. They have good grip too. Paid €68 each for them.
    Cheers looks like anything but Sempret then.

just re-read and saw the size. Looks like continental sport contacts would be another one worth pricing up. Had 15's on a focus and they lasted well

Heres what I'v found
    Federal-57 Euro
    Firestone-between 72 and 67 Euro
    Hankook- between 74 and 66 Euro
    Dunlop-76 Euro
    Continental-85 Euro.
    Is there any good resone why I should'nt save myself 112 Euro and get the Federal tyres as I'v said they are not going to be abused.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

10k is far too low for a tyre and I don't think they are that soft.
    I've had Good Years on mine and they return over 20k miles each (with frequent wheel spinning, etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Continental Contacts are a good long life tyre.

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m4b0s411p50440

Not a bad price for them either with the exchange rate what it is at the moment. Allow about €50 extra for fitting and balancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

kbannon wrote: »
    I've had Good Years on mine and they return over 20k miles each (with frequent wheel spinning, etc.)

Semperit comfort life (im guessing he has these) are an exceptionally soft tyre. I have used 4 sets of them on (my car or my dads), now we got more than 10k, we got 14k.

kbannon wrote: »
    I know its a poor return for what they cost (70 or so a tyre ) if there not that soft it must be must harder roads I soppose :D

bazz26 wrote: »
    Continental Contacts are a good long life tyre.

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m4b0s411p50440

Not a bad price for them either with the exchange rate what it is at the moment. Allow about €50 extra for fitting and balancing.
    Thats a result I'll proberly get those in the morning. Thanks Bazz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭goldenwonder

or kumo.
    both class tyres for wear and grip

Advertisement