Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send your name to Mars!

Options
  • 26-10-2009 2:27pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Here is a chance to have your name sent to Mars aboard the NASA Mars Science Laboratory Rover due for launch in 2011.
    This is also a great chance to get your kids excited about science. After entering their name they can print off a cert to hang up or bring into school to encourage others.

rovermsl.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Call me an utter noobie but what the heck's a zip code in Ireland?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I usually use "111111"
    As of yet zip's are not used here but lots of international sited insist on one..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Beeker - that's the wrong image in the OP. That's actually the current long lived Spirit and opportunity rovers. You need to replace it with THIS pis:

MarsRover_Curiosity.jpg

Yet another Mars mission I'll be adding my name to.:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Beeker - that's the wrong image in the OP. That's actually the current long lived Spirit and opportunity rovers. You need to replace it with THIS pis:

MarsRover_Curiosity.jpg

Yet another Mars mission I'll be adding my name to.:)

You are correct, my boo :oboo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Yeah Beeker totally agree with You that creating an interest in Spaceflight amongst schoolchildren is a 'must do.'
    There are already 7 names on mars,a dedicated plaque to the crew of Columbia on the lander that Spirit landed and drove away from:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭backboiler

Is there a link there somewhere that I can't see on the mobile version?

backboiler wrote: »
    Is there a link there somewhere that I can't see on the mobile version?

Methinks Beeky removed it when he was fixing the image:p
    http://marsprogram.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/participate/sendyourname/

Jupiterkid, BEEKER thanked You,Do You realise how much of an Honor that is?? He never use,s the thank You button! well only because He does not like to differentiate between people who know hardly anything about spaceflight and those who know a lot!{that way it can be open to All as well as some humour,us interested in Spaceflight or Astronomy or both are often considered geeky nerds:) It does no harm to discuss what we feel pasionate about in a way that appeals to ALL.

So SIR jupiterkid take a bow:D

also T-Minus TY for restoring the link!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

My name is on the way :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

ynotdu wrote: »
    Jupiterkid, BEEKER thanked You,Do You realise how much of an Honor that is?? He never use,s the thank You button! well only because He does not like to differentiate between people who know hardly anything about spaceflight and those who know a lot!{that way it can be open to All as well as some humour,us interested in Spaceflight or Astronomy or both are often considered geeky nerds:) It does no harm to discuss what we feel pasionate about in a way that appeals to ALL.

So SIR jupiterkid take a bow:D

also T-Minus TY for restoring the link!:)
    :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

I thanked Beeker :D:D

Stargate wrote: »
    I thanked Beeker :D:D
    I thank you for the thanks!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Jupiterkid, BEEKER thanked You,Do You realise how much of an Honor that is?? He never use,s the thank You button! well only because He does not like to differentiate between people who know hardly anything about spaceflight and those who know a lot!{that way it can be open to All as well as some humour,us interested in Spaceflight or Astronomy or both are often considered geeky nerds
    Ahh, but that's only if you go on and on about it outside boards. On boards, I may aswell be a NASA engineer (okay, not quite), but anywhere else (am I calling boards a place?) I may as well know as much as any layman.

jumpguy wrote: »
    Ahh, but that's only if you go on and on about it outside boards. On boards, I may aswell be a NASA engineer (okay, not quite), but anywhere else (am I calling boards a place?) I may as well know as much as any layman.

Haha jumpguy , www.boards.ie > Science > Astronomy & Space is not just a place ;) , its Home :D

Hey Beeker Gets loads of thanks from Me on the STS threads.
    I dont want to swell his head to the size where He could have filled the hole in Columbia's wing!:pac::pac::pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Ah bollox to this guys, whats gonna happen wit the list? It's gonna get to Mars and be taken by a load of martians, they'll then return to earth and abduct all the peeps on the list and conduct gruesome experiments on them.

I just put my mother in law's name down......just in case ;);)

scudzilla wrote: »

I just put my mother in law's name down......just in case ;);)

Ha Ha :D
    nice one !!!!!!! :D

Hey Beeker Gets loads of thanks from Me on the STS threads.
    I dont want to swell his head to the size where He could have filled the hole in Columbia's wing!:pac::pac::pac::D

ynotdu had to look for a minute there , i tought it said STD thread :D

How many names are actually going ?

Yeah Beeker totally agree with You that creating an interest in Spaceflight amongst schoolchildren is a 'must do.'
    There are already 7 names on mars,a dedicated plaque to the crew of Columbia on the lander that Spirit landed and drove away from:)

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/218723/95044.jpg

ynotdu thanks for that , i didnt see that before :P

• Advertisement

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/218723/95044.jpg

ynotdu thanks for that , i didnt see that before :P

The Radio signal from Mars does not reach Dublin until approx 20 mins after sent,but takes about a million years to reach Cork!:p

The Radio signal from Mars does not reach Dublin until approx 20 mins after sent,but takes about a million years to reach Cork!:p

Think we should try this experiment in Cork.:p

Lol lol Malty,You could not give Stargate a pidgeon! he would EAT it!:pac::pac::pac:

Always good to see You in the Space/Astronomy forums.
    I will never understand why your random space video thread never took off,it is/was an excellant idea:)

Hows about giving it a bump by posting a new one?

Malty_T wrote: »
    Think we should try this experiment in Cork.:p

Say hallo Margaret :D i was rooting for her all the way !! :D

Lol lol Malty,You could not give Stargate a pidgeon! he would EAT it!:pac::pac::pac:

I will never understand why your random space video thread never took off,it is/was an excellant idea:)

Tell me more ......? I like the sound of that :p

ynotdu wrote:
    Lol lol Malty,You could not give Stargate a pidgeon! he would EAT it!

I will never understand why your random space video thread never took off,it is/was an excellant idea

Today 05:02
    Tell me more ......? I like the sound of that :p

Thanks guys for reminding of it, will bump it in a few mins.

Malty_T wrote: »
    Thanks guys for reminding of it, will bump it in a few mins.

Thanks Malty , just took a peek !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Thanks for that- printed off the certs and will attach them to the kids selection boxes in the family!!!

Thanks for that- printed off the certs and will attach them to the kids selection boxes in the family!!!

OMFG!!

I never thought of that, they'll be awesome novelty presents for some of my friends and family.

• Advertisement

nice job rccaulfield cool :p

Advertisement