Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone remember the little museum in Dublin Airport ?

Options
  • 26-10-2009 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭

Does anyone remember this little museum they used to have in Dublin airport ? It was inside the main terminal building - where the duty free is now - and had the front section of an old passenger plane (a viscount I think) as its main exhibit.

I used to just love playing in it - sitting in the cockpit and playing with the controls. There were loads of other exhibits of model planes and weather stuff as well.

Back in the 70's the airport was one of the very few things open on a wet sunday afternoon, and my da often brought me there even if we were'nt meeting anyone arriving or departing. There was also a ice cream shop that used to sell 99 flavours of ice-cream, and I think I took it as a challenge to try and try them all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭gipi

Yes, I remember - they had a replica of the Iolar (I think?) plane which was one of the first AL had.

I remember going to the airport for a "look" too, used to be able to get onto the roof of the terminal building to watch the planes coming and going....ah, innocent days!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

I remember that too!! Wasn't it over on the far left of the Departures area of the airport?
    I used to love that thing!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Mu uncle had his first glider exhibited there. I don't know where it is now.

Apart from the Museum there was quite a few interesting aircraft about that were even rare back then like a JU 52 Junkers that was left abandoned for some time after making a movie.

Advertisement