Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front wheel wont fit my fork.

Options
  • 25-10-2009 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

bike wheel.GIF

My fork will not slide straight onto my wheel. i have circled the point where it meets the wheel in this pic.

Any suggestions?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

I can't really tell what's going on in that pic... Have you checked that your fork's spacing is right? It should be 100mm if it's a standard road fork.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Swaine55

i see, mine seems to be about 94mm

The pic is not mine i just used it as an example and circle the point where my fork reaches. it is an old frame, i think its early 90's maby that is why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭billy.fish

Should be a wee spacer you can remove. If not just stretch the fork a bit.... not that i'd recommend this

Its not the width of the axle that's causing the issue is it?

That fork sounds like it's either been crashed or been crushed... Is it steel? I'm no expert on it, but if there are no dents or cracks anywhere on it it might be possible to stretch it back to proper spacing, but there's no garauntee that the geometry (angle, rake etc.) will be right and it might end up with some, eh, quirky, handling characteristics. If it's not steel, or if it has any signs of fatigue, cracks, dents or deformations, bin it.

A new fork is considerably cheaper than reconstructive face surgery. Just saying.

would i need some sort of special tool to remove the spacer?

oh and it is steel.

• Advertisement

Swaine55 wrote: »
    would i need some sort of special tool to remove the spacer?

oh and it is steel.

Are you even sure there is a spacer? Front hubs usually don't, because forks are a standardised width. If you start removing bits off the you axle you run the risk of bearing falling out, those nuts are not spacers, they're locknuts and you need them.

Put up a pic of your hub maybe?

Yeah. Do not remove those nuts. Those are not optional extras, they hold your hub together.

"Cold-setting" (or bending the shit out of something with brute force, as it's more colloquially known) is possible with some deformed steel, but it's not something I've ever attempted and it's not possible if the steel has underlying damage.

Maybe someone else can advise you otherwise but I'd be looking for a new fork if I were you. They're not expensive.

i got it in. won't be coming off for some time though.
    Thanks for all the help

Advertisement