Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do you REALLY need to drive?

Options
  • 25-10-2009 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

Just a thought Ive had several times,Ive started driving a few months ago but i still hate it but everyone says 'you have to drive' but Im bascially putting it out their do we have to?like really? I mean if everyone else thinks this way then we can just sponge lifts off them! I know its not as handy but if you hate driving so much?what do ye think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,917 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The Irish? :pac: Hell to the No.

Many other places (including the United States outside of major metropolitan areas) Yes. You definitely need to drive in a lot of cases. Of course the same is also true if youre out in the bog or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Mike Bassett

Ha that's what I was thinkin just get your own pad in town and <SNIP> driving...anyone want to buy a car?haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Mike Bassett

This post has been deleted.

Sorry I put in stars to semi blank it out....apologies! Hmm I dont know any non drivers...food for thought!!

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

...anyone want to buy a car?haha
    Better... Wanna hire a chaufeur!? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Learning to drive and getting a licence are things that may be useful when you're older. Apparently you learn faster when you're younger - I've heard that it takes an hour of training for each year of your age, but have nothing to back that up with. There's a number of "one off" situations where having a licence is extremely useful, even if you don't own a car.

So I'd say, yes, it's worth learning to drive and passing a test, but you might want to consider whether owning and maintaining a car is worth it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

I think its useful. Not everyone enjoys it but it is great for getting from A to B.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm an older learner and don't intend buying a car when I get the full licence. I might later on when I retire, but at the moment, I live too close to work to justify using a car. I figured it was a skill worth having.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

Personally, I don't really need to drive. I could get almost everywhere I need to with public transport. I recently got my first car to learn how to drive as I'm 25 and I didn't want to leave it too late to get my license.

When I do get my full license, I doubt I'll go back to public transport to be honest. In the city, I cycle wherever I need to go and avoid dublin bus as much as possible. But to get to family and friends around the country it can be a proper pain sometimes and driving, for me at least, is much more convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

wayne0308 wrote: »
    In the city, I cycle wherever I need to go and avoid dublin bus as much as possible.
    I like to think I'm able to cycle wherever I need (and I probably am, if I tried it once in a while) but in reality it's usually busses. That's not so bad for going to town, or for people living in town, but most other places you've to get at least two busses and usually a fair bit of walking in between. I can't wait to get back behind the wheel!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I used to cycle to work for over 8 years without any problems and I honestly enjoyed it and it kept me fit, then I bought a house which was 35miles away from my workplace via a pretty awful road so I kind of had to learn to drive.

If I could get a job within 10miles of my home I certainly would strongly consider cycling to work once more provided the workplace had a shower setup,

I don't enjoy commuting to work as it takes 80min out of my day sitting in a car, sure if I cycled it might take just as much when I first start but atleast I;d be more healthy.

In addition it would reduce my costs, if I could get public transport to work I would also but in order to do so I'd need to either first drive 10miles to catch a bus to go the rest of the way OR drive 10miles to catch a train and then taxi, walk or cycle the remaining 3miles from trainstation to work. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭elbee

I don't feel I need to drive - although I live close to Dublin city centre and am on two good public transport routes. I'd just like to know how because it may be useful in future and it would free me up a lot in terms of where I could live.

Advertisement