Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help a complete Newbie start a simple website.... please :)

Options
  • 25-10-2009 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭

Hi

I am looking to start a small website. Fairly simple, it will be horse-racing related and may include a messageboard forum. I would like to be able to post pictures and inbed youtube clips etc and possibly include a paypal option for selling pictures etc and would also like to make it iPhone compatible...

I have already registed the domain name I want but here's the kicker...

I have NO IDEA what to do next?? How do I actually "start" a website??

Any advice? I'm looking for something very simple and cheap as can be!

Thanks alot...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭HandWS LTD

Hi,

Starting a website for the first time can be very tough on you. Even with little experience in designing websites. There are some free website builders out the that can give you a head start. Or even a free or cheap template.

But if you are really serious, want it user friendly, error free, accessable and are unable to do it then your best bet is to find a web developer/designer.

Most newbies struggle with designing a website for the first time. Even i did .... many years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

Since this is your first website, I think Joomla would be a great start.

1. you need domain
    2. you need host (No recommendations please. Aidan)
    3.you need internet access!

The joomla application is an open source CMS(content management system) which allows you to edit your website easily and quickly. I would recommend joomla to you and is a great way to start!. Joomla also includes polls, login and more!.

Fourm:
    Again, there are free open source applications.. See www.phpbb.com .

-
    I hope this helps and feelfree to ask for any help!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Many thanks for the help lads... I have registered the required domain name on a website called godaddy.com

So, I need to use this Joomla website to "host" the site, correct?

And the freeforum site you linked to above can be just added, attached or link to my own website when I get it up and running?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Many hosting companies provide a wizard to install apps like Joomla for you, taking much of the pain out of it. If you're doing this with commercial aims in mind, you might want to look at paying somebody to make a template for you, or at least invest in a good commercial template and modify it to match your brand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 AmazingMan

I registered a domain name and designed the website with the application provided by the hosting company (SiteStudio). It is easy to use but very basic and not flexible at all. I can basically change colour/layout and add text and graphics but that's it. I want more accessible features like a messageboard/feedback forum, maybe a page where the user can upload videos and a payment section (all this i am led to believe can be done with php). So although I have a decent basic web design knowledge what tool should I learn for the needs described above, a tool that takes care of the php side would be handy as i don't have the expertise to write that stuff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Many thanks for the help lads... I have registered the required domain name on a website called godaddy.com

So, I need to use this Joomla website to "host" the site, correct?

And the freeforum site you linked to above can be just added, attached or link to my own website when I get it up and running?

Ok..

A host: is (usually a company) that have survers to store your website on the web.

A registrar: this is where you register your domain name. An example is 'godaddy.com'.

Joomla: www.joomla.org is an open source script, this is downloadable and then you must upload it to your host via the control panel or FTP.

Fourm: to stop confusion, you can do the same as joomla but download and upload phpbb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Precisely what part of "No recommendations" is it that people miss?

Final warning folks.

Advertisement