Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mail Woes

Options
  • 25-10-2009 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

I have an ongong email issue. All of my email goes through the hosting company that hosts our website. These guys are fine - I can check my email from anywhere else except here at home.

I have a netbook, 2 laptops and a desktop and each one has the same issue with email. I get the following message from outlook and outlook express:

"The server responded with an error. Account: 'XXXXX', Server: 'mail.YYYYY.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR AVG POP3 Proxy Server: Cannot connect to the mail server!', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90"

I disabled AVG to see if that was the issue but wasn't.

I also have a webmail option but get a "Cannot display the webpage".

The router is a WRP400.

The ISP say it is not their problem. I know the hosting company is fine as I can check my email anywhere else I am.

Anyone have any ideas I could try?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭roryq

Can you ping the name of you hosting service from home. As in ping gmail.com. Can you get a response for the name or the ip address of the hosting. As it could be a DNS issue on your router..

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Hi Rory, yes I am able to ping the hosting service.

D

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭johnmd

see if you can telnet to the ip of the email server on pop port 110 or 993 if you are using via secure port.
    On your desktop
    start->run->cmd
    in the black dos box
    Type telnet IPOFMAILSERVER 110
    If you get a display banneer then you are able to connect so its not connectivity.
    If as you say you can ping the name of the pop server from your LAN its not DNS either.
    Do you have a firewall on the local machine/router/firewall thats blocking outbound port 110

Also if you can try telneting to another mail server on port 110
    eg telnet h5.hosts247.com 110

and see if you get connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Just to clarify things, when you say that you can access your email 'anywhere else', is this using one of the notebooks or netbook you have on your home network, or on another different machine?

John - I am back in Dublin and will not be home for another 3 weeks. But I'll do your suggestions then.

Alun - yeah the netbook that I am using at the moment has Outlook Express and has no problem getting my email here, or indeed anywhere I bring it. It'sjust when I am at home that I cannot get my email. I have full access to the web - just no email. Unless if I connect to my work server via VPN and connect to the webmail service from there.

Regards,

D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bodan

It sounds like your router is blocking you from accessing the domain. If you have a website up, can you browse to "YYYYY.com" (the domain with the mail) ?

If you can see the domain, than it most likely your mail ports are blocked. You would just need to port forward them.

johnmd wrote: »
    see if you can telnet to the ip of the email server on pop port 110 or 993 if you are using via secure port.
    On your desktop
    start->run->cmd
    in the black dos box
    Type telnet IPOFMAILSERVER 110
    If you get a display banneer then you are able to connect so its not connectivity.
    If as you say you can ping the name of the pop server from your LAN its not DNS either.
    Do you have a firewall on the local machine/router/firewall thats blocking outbound port 110

Also if you can try telneting to another mail server on port 110
    eg telnet h5.hosts247.com 110

and see if you get connected.

I used the "telnet ipofmailserver 110" and it would not connect. I get the message "could not open connection to the host, on port 110: connect failed"

Any ideas?

Regards,

D

Advertisement