Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new 1916 film to set filming in April

Options
  • 25-10-2009 7:24pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭

I think this is relevant here as oppose to tv and films

RTÉ have announced some of the cast for Peter Barry's film about the RIsing. Chris "Bloody" O'Donnell (Maeve Binchy nonsens & Robin in Batman) will be in it.Ian Harte as Clarke is an inspiring choice, could see the resemblances - he has good form in Irish Historical movies playing both republicans and loyalists. Gary Oldman as Connolly - great actor but would there be someone better fitted?

What does everyone else think?

http://www.rte.ie/arts/2009/1024/eastersixteen.html

anyone worried? should cause some eyebrows to be raised when it comes out (typical Irish - or me, put it down before even watching it lol - still, it will be a job for the FCA/RDF and a few kids around the streets )

suppose the usual suspects will be in it, like liam cunningham (good - has form), gerrard mcshorely (sp - remember fr. todd uncious & various films about the north), surely brendan glesson will feature?.

out of interest here is what others say (surprise surprise)
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/apr/12/northern-ireland-easter-rising-film

anyone notice a very decent comic book type book out about 1916, quiete good.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Yawn, yawn...surely 1916 is done to death at this stage...what about 1798 a much more exciting movie could should be made - something in the style of Braveheart? The number of extras required would be far greater than any 1916 'epic'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Yawn, yawn...surely 1916 is done to death at this stage...what about 1798 a much more exciting movie could should be made - something in the style of Braveheart? The number of extras required would be far greater than any 1916 'epic'.

true, 1798 would be better. at least the likes of eohan harris, kevin myarse, and ruth duddley edwards would be quiete (probably not)

still though, as for the extras, sure don't you know that old dublin joke about so and so's granddad/granduncle fought in the gpo. must have being some big building then;)

with regard to your tone and request for excitment, as a history lover, i would rather a film of a subject of great importance try and stick to the facts instead of looking for cheap whims ala (in parts) michael collins film of 1995. ( i am sure you would share this). there is after all nothing exciting about the cold realitites of war (from a film camera) watching our ancestors and foes being slaughtered to death as oppose to fiction films - it would be strange to have such a view and then say one totally abhores the use of violence in political matters.

i agree there may not really be a need for this film considering the many tv documentaries, but still, the americans and british haven't stopped spoutting out films about ww1 & ww2, vietnam and middle east (directly or indirectly) and we flock like sheep to watch them - so in fairness, a bit of respect might not go a miss in relation to 1916. if we went all "braveheart" with 1798 there might be mayham, after all the unionists and loyalists might not want to be reminded that Protestant Belfast was the birthplace for Republicanism and the united irishmen

i would imagine, the film might or at least should focus on connolly and his story. (at least with his papers/writings to back it might not get the same crap that wind that shakes the barely got attacked for)

there is nothing too great about 1798 at times either. like many irish movements, it lost (within the reason, considering the size of the british army) of because of betrayal, bribery, cowardance (not the leaders), the common cause of the split, spies etc. as you know of course, people think republicanism started with 1916 - which of course is false.

parnell & o'connell might be better subjects for a modern film, considering that the ones done in the 1920-1930's are crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

i think it's a good idea. i'm sure it will be filled with ''artistic licence'' but the reaction of the british media is , will be , typical . they slate every film that shows them in a bad light. their reaction to the films , The Patriot , Rob Roy , Braveheart , The Wind That Shakes The Barley , Michael Collins ,Sunday and Bloody Sunday. all had an ammount of inaccuracies but all good films. and a film about 1798 is well overdue.

I just found a movie about 1798 that I had never heard of: "It's Handy When People Don't Die" made in 1980 and starring Liam Neeson and Mick Lally amongst others! Anybody know where I might buy a copy?

See details here:http://www.tcd.ie/irishfilm/showfilm.php?fid=56696

And I don't care if a bit of artistic licence is used as long as the basic facts are not altered and possibly a little less 'Saving Private Ryan' type gore would be wise. Especially with regard to some of the genocidal acts here in the south east - and some of the barbarous actions of the militia and yeomanry. The locations are still there in the Sunny South East and largely untouched - Vinegar Hill, some of the Enniscorthy streetscapes and Oulart, the infamous barn at Scullabogue - the potential would be enormous. Apparently Spielberg did talk about a 1798 epic but nothing came of it...The boost for tourism in this depressed region would also be significant not to mention the employment during the filming. If only we had some decent politicans down here. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

i think it's a good idea. i'm sure it will be filled with ''artistic licence'' but the reaction of the british media is , will be , typical . they slate every film that shows them in a bad light.

'As ye sow, so shall ye reap'.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

I just found a movie about 1798 that I had never heard of: "It's Handy When People Don't Die" made in 1980 and starring Liam Neeson and Mick Lally amongst others! Anybody know where I might buy a copy?

And I don't care if a bit of artistic licence is used as long as the basic facts are not altered and possibly a little less 'Saving Private Ryan' type gore would be wise. Especially with regard to some of the genocidal acts here in the south east - and some of the barbarous actions of the militia and yeomanry. The locations are still there in the Sunny South East and largely untouched - Vinegar Hill, some of the Enniscorthy streetscapes and Oulart, the infamous barn at Scullabogue - the potential would be enormous. Apparently Spielberg did talk about a 1798 epic but nothing came of it...The boost for tourism in this depressed region would also be significant not to mention the employment during the filming. If only we had some decent politicans down here. :(

well holy god! great find.

i hope this 1916 film does not get all airy fairy and completely ignores the work of the citizens army. i also don't want it to be all rose tinted either.just the truth, warts and all. same would go for 1798, actions from both sides.

interestingly, considering what we know about 1798 or what we believe to know about 1798, the "gore" is a major feature from that war, as you correctly pointed out with the South East, where women and children were hunted like dogs and forced to sleep outside and night - ssssssssssshhhhhhh eoghan harris might be about

but yes, a film of 1798 is certaintly needed. how many young people really know about the sacrifices of these men or the significance of say, the croppy field near collins barracks in dublin? look what it did for some Scots and their attitude towards their country when Braveheart came out.

Isn't one of the country's main film studio's Ardmore, located around there? i suppose with the 200th anniversary in 1998 and considering what happened in August of 1998, maybe it was a blessing the film never saw the light of day. but time has now passed. its part of our history so it should be done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

There's a film about Connolly that's been in production for a while now. Interesting to see Gary Oldman involved in this one, like him. Depends on what the film is about really, just the week of the Rising itself, or the planning and build up?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

How about a Good Film about the civil war, 1916 been done tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

1916 and the War of Independence is a big story to tell, and it's the story of where this state and the northern state-let came about. Hardly yawn-material. Hopefully it won't be an embarrising effort

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

IIMII wrote: »
    1916 and the War of Independence is a big story to tell, and it's the story of where this state and the northern state-let came about. Hardly yawn-material. Hopefully it won't be an embarrising effort

Agree. Ireland was the first place that the British Empire began to fall apart from counter challenge to its iron grip. The story of how and why this happened is important.

As for the Guardian's pathetic "concern" about glorifying violence - Utter nonsense on the part of the British to pull this old chestnut and predictably draw on a "leading historian" [there's one of them to suit any occasion and point of view]. WTH was the role of the British Army in Ireland for centuries if it wasn't violent? Their entire Empire was established by violent means - just who do they think they are kidding? Yeah, well...we all know the answer to that one.

• Advertisement

I would have thought that the American War of Independence was the first serious reversal for the British Empire rather than 1916 ...anyway my point was that there have been numerous, perhaps not big budget movies (excepting Michael Collins), that have covered 1916 whereas 1798 has the potential to be an even greater box office/tourist promotion for the country. Anybody got Stephen Spielberg's address....?

Here's a link to an incredibly early 1916 (?) movie released in the USA in December 1916!

http://www.answers.com/topic/whom-the-gods-destroy#

Anybody know where you can pick-up a copy?

Another more comprehensive link here: http://stanford.edu/~gdegroat/AJ/reviews/wtgd.htm

states that the film may be lost!

I would have thought that the American War of Independence was the first serious reversal for the British Empire rather than 1916 ...

The American Revolution War was a blow to British overseas possessions in the eighteenth century . But the loss of the American colonies did not seriously affect the march of Empire which continued to grow in the aftermath and add to its dominions in a significant way. In fact, the British emerged to develop a stronger Empire with the development of overseas possessions in Asia which more than compensated for the relatively smaller loss in North America: India becoming the "Jewel in the Crown" in 1857. This period is often referred to as the development of the Second Empire- much more territorially expansive. So as much a loss as the 13 colonies were – the British part of the US was not the huge land mass of 50 states that it later became, it did not in any way result in a serious blow to the British or contribute in any way to the end of Empire, and could not therefore be described as a "reversal".

The height of the British "Empire" is considered to be nineteenth to early twentieth centuries when the British by then controlled over a quarter of the world’s population. The period of 1815- 1914 is often referred to as Britain's Imperial Century.

In that sense 1916 and the Irish War of Independence were important historical challenges to this huge Imperial power.

Here's a link to an incredibly early 1916 (?) movie released in the USA in December 1916!

Anybody know where you can pick-up a copy?

Another more comprehensive link here: http://stanford.edu/~gdegroat/AJ/reviews/wtgd.htm

states that the film may be lost!

I found this reference in Turner Classic Movies [TCM] channel web site - US based. It's in their movie database. You could try contacting them for info.

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title.jsp?stid=503307

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

parnell & o'connell might be better subjects for a modern film, considering that the ones done in the 1920-1930's are crap.

I seem to remember seeing a particularly cheesy still from a film about Parnell with Clark Gable playing the title role. I can imagine how bad that was.

But has there been a film about O'Connell? I reckon his life has ample scope for a really good movie. Particularly if you had a good actor playing him in the lead role.

Why am I thinking of Brendan Gleeson again?

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

if Gary Oldman is going to be in it, its going to be f in awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I think its funny that theres hardly any Irish people in it. Guy Pearse as Padraig Pearse, that's gas. I saw that comic in Easons, it looks pretty cool.

I seem to remember seeing a particularly cheesy still from a film about Parnell with Clark Gable playing the title role. I can imagine how bad that was.

Believe me, you can’t imagine. I have a copcy of that movie and Merna Loy plays Katherine O'Shea. There are some really awful scenes. One of the worst is when Pigott is shown up in court as a forger – and Parnell exonerated - and a group of Parnell supports break out into "God Save Oirland" and dance out of the court.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

What we really need is a movie on the wars of sixteenth-century Ireland, in particular the most important war in recorded Irish history, the Nine Years War. It defies belief that this has not been done yet. Better still, it could be a great, great TV series.

We'll have to settle for Brian Friel's superb Making History in the meantime.

Rebelheart wrote: »
    What we really need is a movie on the wars of sixteenth-century Ireland, in particular the most important war in recorded Irish history, the Nine Years War. It defies belief that this has not been done yet. Better still, it could be a great, great TV series.

isn't there passing mention in the film about Essex and Elizabeth starring Errol Flynn and Bette Davis in the lead roles about the war in Ireland? Although they refer to Hugh O'Neill through his surrender and regrant title of Earl of Tyrone.

I believe too there is a highly fictionalised film about Hugh O'Donnell and his escape from Dublin Castle called The Fighting Prince of Donegal. But I gather that was all shamrock and shillelagh hokum as well.

Rebelheart wrote: »

Agree - Absolutely fascinating period. There is a good book worth reading 'Elizabeth's Irish Wars' by Cyril Falls that was recently reprinted - worth a read.
    I believe too there is a highly fictionalised film about Hugh O'Donnell and his escape from Dublin Castle called The Fighting Prince of Donegal. But I gather that was all shamrock and shillelagh hokum as well.
    Absolutely brutal film

• Advertisement

I've read the 'Year of the French' a couple of times and would love to see the series - I barely remember it. I remember hearing that the book was better than the film but I'd still like to see it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Agree - Absolutely fascinating period. There is a good book worth reading 'Elizabeth's Irish Wars' by Cyril Falls that was recently reprinted - worth a read.

Good stuff, IMII. I read Falls and he is fundamentally wrong - I wont say willfully - when he states that English soldiers merely engaged in ‘occasional bad behaviour’ (p. 345) during the war. For reasons best known to himself, he overlooks a sh!tload of evidence of extensive opposition across the Pale to the attacks, robbery, occupation and dislocation which the military garrisons caused. All of the supposedly loyal towns of the Pale lodged petitions against the abuses of the garrison, as well as against the abuses of the the army paymasters (particularly Henry Wallop).

You are right though: there is a huge vacuum in the historiography when it comes to the war - although Eoin Ó Néill over in Brazil has done a quite excellent PhD thesis on it, which is available here and very well worth reading:

http://www.iuperj.br/biblioteca/teses/Eoin%20tese.pdf

(I don't know who Eoin Ó Néill is but I'd absolutely love a chat with him!)

One thing is certain: the division within the Pale about the Nine Years War is hugely underestimated. But don't get me started! ;)

go on, go on, go on, says he.

I've read the 'Year of the French' a couple of times and would love to see the series - I barely remember it. I remember hearing that the book was better than the film but I'd still like to see it.

The series was pretty dull. Joint Irish French production if I remember rightly.

Originally Posted by Snickers Man

Absolutely brutal film

So I believe. :)

It came out when I was in primary school (yes, that long ago) and whenever our teacher would talk about Red Hugh O'Donnell, some little innocent would put his hand up and correct him "No sir, in the film he did this that and the other."

It got so our teacher would lose his temper anytime anybody mentioned the Fighting Prince of Donegal, so I've never seen it. But its title has been implanted on my memory for 40 years.

I'd almost like to see it just to see if it's as gruesome as I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭JohnThomas09

who is going to play Sean MacDiarmadia in Easter 1916??:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

....... 1798 has the potential to be an even greater box office/tourist promotion for the country. Anybody got Stephen Spielberg's address....?

If I had it, you wouldnt be getting it! :eek: Dear god I'd love a movie on the period, but I'd sooner no movie than some big budget American drama/cgi fest along the lines of 'The Patriot' :rolleyes:. Its a period and type of movie that would have to be treated with a serious amount of respect and carefully done, not just for the sake of a money spinner (unlike 'Michael Collins'....:rolleyes:).

Interestingly there was a '98 movie made in 1966 for RTE's celebration of the 1916 Rising, it is called 'When Do you Die, Friend?' and was based on the autobiography of a Carlow man, William Farrell whom was in the UI, did not take part, but witnessed the rebellion and was nearly put to death a number of times by the crown forces after the event. For a '60's Irish made movie its actually not bad and holds it own, it does deviant from the book now and then but all in all its not bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

who is going to play Sean MacDiarmadia in Easter 1916??:)

I am!!!! :D Me and ken Loach are hijacking this project and social realism-ing its ass!!!

Advertisement