Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sonic Youth

Options
  • 25-10-2009 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭

I dusted off my old copy of Daydream Nation and I had forgotten how mesmerizing it is to listen. I must say that I was disappointed on the first listen, but just like Psycho Candy, it revealed itself after a few listens. Are any of their other albums good or should I stick with this one? Any Sonic Youth fans out there? I didn't see them mentioned in the Album of the week thread.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭ElectroJazz

Evol would be a fave of mine, I never get bored of that song shadow of a doubt after all these years!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Sr. Pirotecnic

I found Daydream Nation to be a disappointment considering it was so hyped up and twenty years later I remain unenthralled (Teenage Riot and one or two thers aside). For me, the three previous albums, Bad Moon Rising, Evol and Sister are the essence of Sonic Youth and where everyone should start.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

Valmont wrote: »
    I dusted off my old copy of Daydream Nation and I had forgotten how mesmerizing it is to listen. I must say that I was disappointed on the first listen, but just like Psycho Candy, it revealed itself after a few listens. Are any of their other albums good or should I stick with this one? Any Sonic Youth fans out there? I didn't see them mentioned in the Album of the week thread.

you should try Evol, Sonic Nurse or Goo. If you like them and are feeling more adventurous, try Bad Moon Rising. To be honest almost everything they've released is class, although the new album was pretty disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I've heard most (though not all) of their albums and apart from "Experimental Jet Set..." they're all good. "Dirty" and "Goo" from the early 90s are the most accessible, their recent albums such as "murray st." and "sonic nurse" are more mellow but still excellent - a great band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Their latest offering is the best they have done in many years.

Sick I wont get to see them in Vicar St. Saw them in the Olympia on the 1000 leaves tour in 97/98 ?? and a few times since , different show every time.

Daydream nation and goo and even dirty would be them at their best for me, after that I've only enjoyed a hand full of tracks of the rest of the albums.

Pushed for a favorite song by them I'd say, JC off Dirty or Bull in the heather

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭rororoyourboat

I wuv Sonic Youth! :P Won't get to see them in December unfortunately, but I saw them back in 07, so I suppose that will have to do me. I really like their new albem, the Eternal. Last few albums were a bit dodgy so it's good to see a return to form!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

So I purchased EVOL from iTunes and I have to say it is fantastic. I really wasn't expecting much thinking that if it was pre-Daydream nation it probably wasn't great.

I just love their biting dirty shoegazing instrumentals!

EDIT: They're playing soon? I'll have to add that to the growing list of live acts I can't afford to go to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

Don't really understand the legacy around Daydream Nation. Great album, but Sister is muuuuch better: half the length and just as experimental but any album that opens with this

is bound to be a winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Has anyone seen "The Year punk broke" ??? If you haven't shame on you :P

There's a great bit of them on O'Connell St ... green buses 'an all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

I wuv Sonic Youth! :P Won't get to see them in December unfortunately, but I saw them back in 07, so I suppose that will have to do me. I really like their new albem, the Eternal. Last few albums were a bit dodgy so it's good to see a return to form!

Really? I thought Rather Ripped was great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 amandakola

goo, dirty, and murray street do it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Over&Over

Evol is a desert island disc for me. All-time top 10, even the throwaway Bubblegum song at the end.

Picked up Sister again recently - another milestone LP for them.

Loved Daydream Nation at the time, but find it a bit of hard work now to listen to it in total without skipping tracks.

Have younger friends who don't 'get them'. I can understand where they're coming from. I heard them when I was 16 and had the time to listen to LPs non-stop and fall in love with their perceived mysteriousness.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Ouravit

You should check out The B-Sides album. The Destroyed Room. 25 minute version of The Diamond Sea is amazing. Also dont think anyone has mentioned Rather Ripped. Great album !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

Daydream Nation is my favourite album ever.

Every now and then I take the time to sit down and to listen to it through - it's magical.

Evol, Sister and DN are them at their best, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Tarka

I've missed everything in between The Eternal and Washing Machine, Dirty is my favourite from what I've heard though.
    Started on Daydream Nation and it took me forever to get into, great album but not that accessible an introduction to the band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Major bump

http://www.spinner.com/2011/10/14/sonic-youth-split/

Don't worry the band haven't split up as such yet, but Thurston Moore and Kim Gordon have split after 27 years of marriage! I guess nothing is permanent. The band are continuing with their South American tour in November but this looks dangerously like the end :( I really hope the band don't split because I've never seen them live.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,872 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Hi
    I am looking for someone I went to college with.
    I went to Carlow IT studying Computer Systems Management
    This person is male in his mid 20's from the Wicklow area.
    He has grungy, light brown hair. He would never have finished the course.
    His build would have been tall, fit to athletic as he may have worked on a farm. Possibly from a rural area.

His special interest would have been Sonic Youth. That would be the only thing he would possibly talk about. He wouldn't be the most social character but not a bad guy either just seen as a bit odd. Definitely would be shunned by the local populace. Do you remember him from secondary school?

It is very important for him that I find him as I have something very important to tell him. I really need to get a message to this person.

Please help as I spotted something in college that could really change this guys life.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭iomega

I haven't listen to them in a while now. They have released some terrible crap.
    I still love:
    Goo
    Dirty
    Washing machine

Must have a listen to some to of the other later albums. Rather ripped is great I'm told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Rather Ripped is pretty decent, as is Murray Street and The Eternal. I think so anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I've always found Washing Machine a bit patchy. But the good moments on it, especially Little Trouble Girl and The Diamond Sea, are really great. Rather Ripped and Sonic Nurse were good albums but I thought The Eternal was a bit boring.

I'll always prefer their 80's albums though, in particular EVOL, Sister and Daydream Nation. I think the late 80's was their greatest period creatively.

Wouldn't be a fan of Daydream Nation bar a few classics on it, a bit too much to the experimental side for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,872 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If you leave out 'Providence' then DN is probably the most conventional album they ever made. It's still one of my favourites though :) and boo-urns to anyone dissign Washing Machine, it's one of their very best!

Life ain't always empty.

I'll give DN another chance..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Eroticplants

Daydream Nation was the first album I had heard by them.
    It was and still is unreal.

Advertisement