Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unused Building Wanted

Options
  • 24-10-2009 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

We would like to regenerate empty unused buildings in Dublin and use them as art galleries, studios, or rehearsal space for local talent.
    Any sizes welcome
    Why leave it there useless when it could be beneficiary for Dublin's culture.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

A developer in Ranelagh has already made a deal with some artists I think whereby he has made an agreement to allow use of vacant buildings. Here's a link! Artists pay €1 Rent in Ranelagh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 rubio

Aye, I was aware of that, but and am looking for other buildings too. There are hundreds in town which could be used for the same projects. Someone will come forth and see what Garett Kellerher has done and supply for the good of Dublin and her arts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 fruit

I was in your shoes about 2 years ago and walked away after several months of advertising, treks to the various deeds offices, letters, calls and emails. Every time I felt close to getting somewhere with a building I'd always get a silence from the main person I needed to talk to.

"Why leave it there useless when it could be beneficiary for Dublin's culture."

You'll encounter some reasons if you pursue this seriously. For example, a lot of Dublin city's buildings are left unoccupied for tax reasons (that can be shady).

I don't want to put you off your search, I just thought you'd appreciate my experiences. I was ultimately hoping to reach someone who knew someone who held one of these many buildings in the city that go unused. That seems to be the best way to get in on one these. It's a very cautious area, you'll appreciate, so it's hard to get progression if you're a stranger to who you're dealing with.

On the plus side (regarding your search), the building industry has collapsed and things are different now from when I was searching. The ranelagh free building scheme's one example of that. Plus there feels like an endless amount of studios in the city now compared to only a few short years ago, with many struggling to keep them filled.

Advertisement