Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Translation for "Orchard"

Options
  • 24-10-2009 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

So after 20 odd years the council finally put up a street sign and it has the Irish aswell ofcourse but they have it as tAbhallort. Its not in the dictionary and I always knew Orchard to be Úllard. Tá mearbhall orm. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 davedonie

Úllord even, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

An t-úllghort or an t-úllord are used for the orchard....both masculine.
    An abhaill means an apple-tree...feminine.
    An abhallghort (also feminine) then is another word for the orchard.
    So the council should have omitted the t ..at least.

It makes sense now thanks. If you can go from úllghort to úllord then I can see why you might get abhallort from abhallghort, though I get the impression you shouldnt. I didnt know the t is for masculine. The shame. I thought thats what the séimhiú is for.

The séimhiú does come into it when the noun is feminine.
    For example an fhuinneog, an bhó, an chúis.
    Masculine nouns... an doras, an punt, an mearbhall.

We were dealing with a noun that began with a vowel so we have
    an t-eitealán, an t-údar, an t-anam for the masculine ones and
    an oifig, an ubh agus an ócáid for the feminine ones.

Thanks so much for taking the time. Whatever about me, I'm suprised the council got it wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Múinteoir

davedonie wrote: »
    Whatever about me, I'm suprised the council got it wrong.

Don't be! Irish councils mis-spell the Irish version of placenames all the time! It's quite disgraceful actually. There does seem to be a common official mentality of "It's only Irish, so who cares if it's correct". I'll see if I can grab a few other examples off the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Ceilteach

Have you any citation for an t-abhallghort being feminine? To my mind it'd be masculine as it's the "apple field" as opposed to the "Appletree field".

So iontas na n-iontas the council got one right. Probably to be explained by the law of averages!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭katiemaloe

The street I grew up on had Orchard in the name, and the sign had the Irish as ...... an tUlloird. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

actually céard é an scéal with compound words like that- does the gender always go according to the second noun?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Múinteoir

pog it wrote: »
    actually céard é an scéal with compound words like that- does the gender always go according to the second noun?

Generally yes, though you will find the odd exception, as always.

• Advertisement

Ceilteach wrote: »
    Have you any citation for an t-abhallghort being feminine? To my mind it'd be masculine as it's the "apple field" as opposed to the "Appletree field".

So iontas na n-iontas the council got one right. Probably to be explained by the law of averages!

Tá an ceart agat a Cheilteach, bhí mé ar strae ansin.

Advertisement