Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reclaiming icome levy paid

Options
  • 24-10-2009 6:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know how to reclaim income levy paid?

I was employed up until June 2009. I paid income levy up until then. I have now had my medical card approved & was advised I am exempt from paying this levy. Does anyone know how I claim back what I paid?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59,574 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

If you are currently employed, your employer can make a refund- see page 10 of this document taken from the Revenue Commissioners' website:
    The exemption exists for people who hold a full medical card. It does not exist for people who hold a GP only medical card.
    The individual does not need to hold the full medical card for the full year to qualify for the exemption. The exemption is due as long as the individual held a full medical card for some period during the year. The individual should supply sufficient evidence to their employer/pension provider that they hold a full medical card. The employer/pension provider should stop deducting the income levy and can refund immediately any amount of income levy already deducted from the previous 1 January. It is not necessary for the employer/pension provider to wait until the end of year to make any refund due in medical card cases.
    If now not working, see page 11:
    Where the income levy has been applied for particular pay period(s) throughout the year but the minimum threshold of €15,028 has not been exceeded at week 52 then no liability to the income levy arises. In this situation and provided you were in continuous employment with an employer throughout the year in question (for the full 52 weeks) your employer should make an adjustment at week 52 and refund all income levy deducted. Where you have not been in continuous employment with an employer throughout the year in question, Revenue, rather than your employer, will deal with any refund of income levy due.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Thanks - Im unemplyed so I will contact Revenue on Monday. Thank you for the help - appreciated.

Advertisement