Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2002 MG ZR

Options
  • 24-10-2009 4:09pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭

guys, a friend of mine is looking at a rover MG ZR.
    its the 1.4 105bhp model with 49k on the clock.

the owner recently carried out a timing belt change, and all the bits including water pump etc etc and has also put in an upgraded head gasket, he has the receipts for the work.

i knew the rover engine was prone to over heating and was wondering if there is anything else to look out for in particular?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Other than that I think it's down to price. They're a grand little car for what they are, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,826 ✭✭✭✭unkel

kceire wrote: »
    i knew the rover engine was prone to over heating and was wondering if there is anything else to look out for in particular?

With the upgraded Land Rover head gasket the problem is fixed. Keep an eye on the temp and change the coolant once a year and he should be fine. Tell him not to pay more than market value - dunno how much it is, but it will be low!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

If all that works done it takes away the main reason for not buying one. So long as its not a yellow one:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

unkel wrote: »
    With the upgraded Land Rover head gasket the problem is fixed. Keep an eye on the temp and change the coolant once a year and he should be fine. Tell him not to pay more than market value - dunno how much it is, but it will be low!

its advertised at 2150e

what you think of that price?
    may get it for a little under 2k???

• Registered Users Posts: 51,133 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

its advertised at 2150e

what you think of that price?
    may get it for a little under 2k???

I'd make an initial offer of €1800 but pay no more than €1950 for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

Good cars, at least with the updated Hg it should stay solid. However make sure the car does not shake when you initially turn the key...It could indicate vibration in the bottom end of the engine which could be a tell tale sign for a bottom end needing replacing. K series are known for blowing their bottom ends aswell as Hg's. I'm talking from experience here. With 49k on the clock I would not be worrying about that though but just incase it should be steady as a rock on turn over..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭vectra

guys, a friend of mine is looking at a rover MG ZR.
    its the 1.4 105bhp model with 49k on the clock.

I was eyeing that one for my son as an option.
    Best of luck as it seems like a very decent example ;)

vectra wrote: »
    I was eyeing that one for my son as an option.
    Best of luck as it seems like a very decent example ;)

did you view it?
    any reason why you didint go for it?

or is it just on the options list at the moment?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭magunkey

Just two stars....

....needs to be cheap.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=547

magunkey wrote: »
    Just two stars....

....needs to be cheap.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=547

not too bothered about those reviews, my sister had a brand new one in 2002 for 2 years without any problems, she only sold it to get a bigger car.

im very familiar with these cars , i just wanted to confirm the head gasket issue. i think under 2k is cheap for this car.

• Advertisement

or is it just on the options list at the moment?

Was on the list ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

What spec is it?

If uprated LandRover HG is installed, 2k is a very fair price for an 02 I think (depending on spec). They're a run car. I had a 214 which were esentially the same thing (except 5mm higher and about 2hp less, and different bodykit) - loved it as a first car

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Brother has a 05 ZS and the head gasket went in his after 32k miles ( he bought it when it had 26k ), he got it cheap and had expected the gasket to go, so wasn't too bothered when it went.The land rover one he had put in too and its going on 50k miles now with no problems since.1.4 is a good little engine, twin cam,decent power and good on fuel too.Diesel ZR is not popular here, but in england it has a bit of a cult following.Unlike the petrols the diesel rover engine is bulletproof and with 115bhp ( potential for a lot more with a remap ) and loads of torque it does shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

If thats the JohnCleary I think it is he had the same 214i as me, same shape as the ZR. Head gasket went on my Rover 3 times, and that was the only problem in about 5 years of driving. Great car too the ZR, if you can get it sub 2grand, take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

I had a Rover 45 year 2000 with 1.4l engine for almost 3 years and I have to say it was very reliable car.
    As everyone here the only problem I had with it was the head gasket but when i got the car I was expecting it to go eventually, so I was doing the regular checks every 4 to 5 days until one day I noticed mayo kind substance in coolant.
    Straight away I knew what it was and had the gasket replaced quite cheaply.

I think that those cars are very under rated but in reality they are very good cars and quite reliable. But off course you have to do checks such as checking the oil and coolant and other fluids regularly.

Well. Did your friend view/buy this car?:confused:

Well. Did your friend view/buy this car?:confused:

No, but i did!
    picked it up the other day!

No, but i did!
    picked it up the other day!

I wouldnt blame you. Nice looking car. ;)

I wouldnt blame you. Nice looking car. ;)

cheers, its ok in the flesh!
    its my run around as i sold my E90 320d last week!

happy with it at the moment.

cheers, its ok in the flesh!
    its my run around as i sold my E90 320d last week!

happy with it at the moment.

If you get fed up with it or feel the need for something different in the next few weeks give me a shout as I might still have an interest in it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Why you sell the BMW?

If you get fed up with it or feel the need for something different in the next few weeks give me a shout as I might still have an interest in it ;)

no probs mate, im eyeing up a 535d at the moment so if that come through it may be back for sale soon!

gpf101 wrote: »
    Why you sell the BMW?

because i want a 5 series and the 320d's were selling rather well so i thought i would sell it while i had the chance to make money on it! bought for 10,700 in April and sold last week for 13,200.

also my other half has a deposit on a 2007 318d M-Sport and is picking that up next month, so no need for 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

The 5 series is a fine motor alright. I'm tempted myself.

Advertisement