Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Little Project - Any ideas

Options
  • 24-10-2009 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hey all,

When i was in college a project was undertaken to link one of those vodafone or O2 dongles to a satnav so that the satnav would use it to transmit the current gps location to a site which will plot it on google maps.

Sounds simple but i'm fully aware that it's far more complex. So what i'm wondering is what am i looking for? Do i need a few skills like a .net developer etc.?

The reason i'm asking is that i would like to advertise it properly. I've put up an advert already but i'm not getting the right people responding. It's just a small project for work but there'd be a few hundred quid for someone in it.

Any help would be fantastic lads, so let me know what you think,

Rgds

Steve

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭randombar

This is definitely not simple and not really related to this forum.

What you need at a guess is a micro controller to connect the two, I've worked on projects like this myself before.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭baloonatic

Hey Gary,

Thanks for the reply, DO you know of any companies / individuals that have done this before? I know it's been done by a couple of colleges alright and at least one manufacturer but i wanted to see if it could be done commercially available electonics with a minimum amount of work.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭randombar

I know of a few people that have worked on similar projects in the past, but this was a few years ago now. It can be done commercially with available electronics but I wouldn't say a minimum amount of work.

1 ) Microcontroller
    2 ) GPS chip for microcontroller
    3 ) Mobile chip for microcontroller
    4 ) Programming the chip to do what you want.

//Gary

Advertisement