Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canon 50D

Options
  • 24-10-2009 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hey!

I went to Conn's today and was looking to get a good camera for sports photography and was told to get the Canon 50D. What does anybody think??? I have Canon lenses to go with it so not interested in Nikons. but again any comments on the camera would be great.

Cheers!!!:D
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

'tis my beast of choice at the moment. Wonderful camera. Great spec etc., but for a little less you're getting very similar in a 40D. And if you have a bit extra, you can get a 5D Mk.II

It's a great camera, but there are more value-for-money alternatives around it in the Canon range...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

What glass do you have already?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Like mentioned above, a 40D is a much cheaper alternative to a 50D. It has the same fps rate and performs better in most reviews. You should find one for <€600 and there are always a few floating around on Adverts if you have a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

'tis my beast of choice at the moment. Wonderful camera. Great spec etc., but for a little less you're getting very similar in a 40D. And if you have a bit extra, you can get a 5D Mk.II

It's a great camera, but there are more value-for-money alternatives around it in the Canon range...

5D MKII Isn't really a sports camera though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

Ricky91t wrote: »
    5D MKII Isn't really a sports camera though...

wasnt specifically built for sports but definitly does the job very well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kgpixels

Have been using the 40D for over a yr now and no complaints.
    Although I haven't done any sport or action photography with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Ballyman wrote: »
    Like mentioned above, a 40D is a much cheaper alternative to a 50D. It has the same fps rate and performs better in most reviews. You should find one for <€600 and there are always a few floating around on Adverts if you have a look.

Did much the same meself. Had a 450D and was looking at a 50D. However, in some quarters, the 50D received mixed reviews about noise, so I bought a 40D with 3,000 actuations on it. Couldn't source a new one anywhere at the time.

It was in immaculate condition. Use it with a Canon 17-55 f/2.8 and a Tokina 12-24.

I'm delighted with it so far.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

If you have some extra money the 7D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

wasnt specifically built for sports but definitly does the job very well

Aye,I'd agree with you on that,Would be great for night time sports,But the FPS is the killer imo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

For people that shoot burst mode maybe but I prefer predict.
    I've barely ever used burst mode come to think of it even on my 40D.
    Also burst mode racks up the actuations!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 alanpartridge47

CabanSail wrote: »
    What glass do you have already?

Have a 300mm f/2.8 and 17-40mm f/4.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 alanpartridge47

cheers for that man! looking at the 40D and found a great deal on one just have to get the money for it!:p

Advertisement