Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiling

Options
  • 23-10-2009 6:55pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26

Hi Folks,

I've got a small room (5m sq) to tile the floor of. I've bought the tiles and all the required bits and bobs to lay them but I wanna know is it difficult to lay the tiles myself (onto a concrete floor) and would I be best advised to get a tiler in or do it myself?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

5 sqm will take a tiler about half a day. Depending on the rate this will be between 80 and 150 euro. What you need to ask yourself is 150 euro worth taking the chance. If your good careful and accurate it will be fine. Bear in mind it will cost you between 30-50 euro for parts like a cutting disc, Sponge(Big) and a spreader.

If you want someone to tile it pm me your location and I will give you a contact if its in your area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 theopticalshop

Thanks for your reply. Have sent you a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Tony255

Just want to add my 2 cents, I went ahead and tried the tiling not for the cost aspect but for the experience of tiling itself and I would definitely recommend you give it a shot.

All depending on the type of tile and the layout of the floor though, some things are better left to the professionals depending on how complex it is.

Best of luck with it.

True nothing pays experience but comeing up to christmas and looking at a bad tiling job. Assuming of course its bad..... No thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ClimateGirl

I'll second Tony's comment - it is VERY easy to tile. My husband and I had no DIY experience and had no problem doing it in several parts of our house. In fact, the person who was HIRED to tile our bathrooms and kitchen did an absolutely horrible job (clearly didn't feel like cutting tiles and just stopped and started them wherever was convenient for him), so I would argue that sometimes doing it yourself can actually guarantee an even better effect than hiring...

Just food for thought...

CG

• Advertisement

I'll second Tony's comment - it is VERY easy to tile. My husband and I had no DIY experience and had no problem doing it in several parts of our house. In fact, the person who was HIRED to tile our bathrooms and kitchen did an absolutely horrible job (clearly didn't feel like cutting tiles and just stopped and started them wherever was convenient for him), so I would argue that sometimes doing it yourself can actually guarantee an even better effect than hiring...

Just food for thought...

CG

Sorry for your experience. You should not have paid him though. A good tiler is not only measured by how well a job looks but how long it lasts.

Advertisement