Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor AP??Any experience using them?

Options
  • 23-10-2009 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Does any one have experience with high power access points for use outdoors to cover say for e.g a large car park..
    What would be a good model to use that could also possibly be a repeater.ie relaying on an existing AP.....I not sure what power so that should be confiqurable..
    Dont want to spend a fortune either so am looking for u guys to give me ur recommendations on what works well and pitfalls to avoid.Also legally whats the story..I know Im not allowed overpower existing installations so as long as the coverage is well planned will that suffice?.:D
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Are you using 2.4GHz or 5.8GHz? The EIRP limit on 5.8GHz is alot higher than on 2.4GHz, not that Comreg really enforces it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 JimKay

Are you using 2.4GHz or 5.8GHz? The EIRP limit on 5.8GHz is alot higher than on 2.4GHz, not that Comreg really enforces it anyway.

Well I had planned to use 2.4G,while 5G might have higher EIRP it doesn't stretch as far coverage wise as 2.4G but I suppose using 5G would leave less chance of interfering with adjacent networks...

Yep, less interference is another plus with 5.8GHz, coverage is not much different unless there are obstacles, then 2.4GHz would work better alright.
    These are 5.8GHz but also available in 2.4GHz from the same supplier:

Ubiquiti Pico5
    Ubiquiti Nanostation5

Thanks for the links,thats the sort of site I need, and in Ireland as well..many thanks!!

Just with that the APs are extremely powerful..one I read had a range of 10KM..thats huge..i looking more for a range of 0.5km max..can they confiqured lower..prehaps I'm better with a typical access point e.g a linsys and some hi-gain antenna's??Also my clients have to g now that I think of it..

• Advertisement

Since the clients are G you can only use 2.4GHz. The Pico 2 has 50 meter indoor range/150 meter outdoor range, and yes you can reduce the output power. I'm not 100% sure whether or not the 6dbi omni is included with it, you'll have to ask Wi-Pipe.

Pico2

Something like a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 or Linksys WRT54G with better antennas would work too but aren't weather proof compared to the Ubiquiti gear.

Advertisement