Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do picasaweb or flikr take ownership of images uploaded to their sites?

Options
  • 23-10-2009 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I've stopped sharing my photos on Facebook due to the ownership issue but now need another way to share my photos with friends and family. However, I do not want the site to own my pictures. I've tried to read picasaweb and flikr's terms of usage but am still unclear as to whether they will own my images. Can anyone clarify? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

There was a fear recently about facebook, I recall a while back receiving information on how to disallow third parties using your images, facebook came back to say it was nothing to do with them, that it was applications that may take images (dont quote me word for word I have a terrible memory but this is what I recall for now). Anyway I think flickr is safe enough, obviously I would disallow all sizes so if someone was to save as from screen they would only get a small size and if the image is important to you and of the nature where it could be used by many others a small watermark or within the tetle all rights reserved should suffice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

You remain the owner of the copyright when using these sites, they just vary on what license you grant them to use your content (and personal details) when you accept the t&c's on joining.

With facebook you can limit the extent of the licenses you grant by completely ditching all third party apps and sticking with native fb apps only. If you tighten up your security profile it should be fine. That avoids your family having to join other sites, and any confrontation when they put your photos of them on their facebook account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

what about getting one of the following instead

apple mobile me account, you can share stuff there, cost money

register with someone like clickpic and setup your own website, i think its something like 35 stg per year, all template based

or other option what about pixie, irish based, and marcus is a regular here so he would be able to answer your questions etc

• Registered Users Posts: 30,060 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Here are details from the Picasa terms of service
    11. Content licence from you

11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive licence to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. This licence is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.

11.2 You agree that this licence includes a right for Google to make such Content available to other companies, organizations or individuals with whom Google has relationships for the provision of syndicated services, and to use such Content in connection with the provision of those services.

11.3 You understand that Google, in performing the required technical steps to provide the Services to our users, may (a) transmit or distribute your Content over various public networks and in various media; and (b) make such changes to your Content as are necessary to conform and adapt that Content to the technical requirements of connecting networks, devices, services or media. You agree that this licence shall permit Google to take these actions.

11.4 You confirm and warrant to Google that you have all the rights, power and authority necessary to grant the above licence.
    https://www.google.com/accounts/TOS?hl=en

These are the flickr/yahoo terms
    8. PUBLIC CONTENT POSTED TO YAHOO!

(a) For purposes of the TOS, "publicly accessible areas" of the Services are those accessible by the general public. By way of example, a publicly accessible area of the Services would include public Yahoo! Groups, Yahoo! Answers and Yahoo! Message Boards, but would not include unlisted Yahoo! Groups or private Yahoo! communication services such as Yahoo! Mail or Yahoo! Messenger. You acknowledge that you are solely responsible for any personal data or information that you choose to disclose and make publicly accessible via the Services, and that under no circumstances will Yahoo! be liable in any way for the disclosure and public accessibility of such personal data or information. You acknowledge that any personal data or information (or any other Content) posted to publicly accessible areas may remain publicly accessible indefinitely.

(b) With respect to Content you elect to post for inclusion in publicly accessible areas of Yahoo! Groups or that consists of photos or other graphics you elect to post to any other publicly accessible area of the Services, you grant Yahoo! a world-wide, royalty free and non-exclusive licence to reproduce, modify, adapt and publish such Content on the Services solely for the purpose of displaying, distributing and promoting the specific Yahoo! Group to which such Content was submitted, or, in the case of photos or graphics, solely for the purpose for which such photo or graphic was submitted to the Services. This licence exists only for as long as you elect to continue to include such Content on the Services and shall be terminated at the time you delete such Content from the Services.

(c) With respect to all other Content you elect to post to other publicly accessible areas of the Services, you grant Yahoo! the royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive and fully sub-licensable right and licence to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such Content (in whole or part) worldwide and/or to incorporate it in other works in any form, media, or technology now known or later developed.
    http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/info/terms.html

Advertisement