Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotspots only for browsers ?

Options
  • 23-10-2009 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

I'm on 3Mb Eircom boradband and its 1.99 pm to get wifi hotspot access.

What I want is to be able to access my email on my Nokia E51. This uses a mail client on the E51 and not the web based version.

So,

1) do I need to log into the browser first everytime and put in the username and password ?
    2) Can I have the username and password for my eircom access point saved ? So, then I just open my email and it says connect to "Eircom, home, blah, etc" and I just choose Eircom and not have to enter an email and password every time,

The Nokia E51 is handy having wireless and for reading emails but not greatest for reading/typing, so having to log in every time would be a pain ..

Any help appreciated
    Ta
    Rob
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

rwilson_ie wrote: »
    I'm on 3Mb Eircom boradband and its 1.99 pm to get wifi hotspot access.

What I want is to be able to access my email on my Nokia E51. This uses a mail client on the E51 and not the web based version.

So,

1) do I need to log into the browser first everytime and put in the username and password ?
    2) Can I have the username and password for my eircom access point saved ? So, then I just open my email and it says connect to "Eircom, home, blah, etc" and I just choose Eircom and not have to enter an email and password every time,

The Nokia E51 is handy having wireless and for reading emails but not greatest for reading/typing, so having to log in every time would be a pain ..

Any help appreciated
    Ta
    Rob

If you have an email client on the phone then it should be only a matter of entering your eircom email settings.
    Incoming Mail Server:
    webmail.eircom.net

Outgoing Mail Server:
    mail1.eircom.net

Mail Server Type:
    POP3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 rwilson_ie

Ah, okay - so, if I use Eircom's settings, then I will only be able to connect via Eircom hotspots ?

So, if I connected to say a NTL wifi at home, then it won't recognise Eircom's mail servers ?

If this is the case, then its a pity because the charge of 1.99 per month was quite good.

Looks like I may have to just try get a Vodafone data plan, which cost a good bit more :(

Thanks for your help anyway
    Rob

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

If you use your NTL connection at home you should be able to log in automatically and collect your Eircom email so long as your have your incoming Eircom connection settings set up. However to use your NTL to send email you will have to have your SMTP connection (outgoing mail) set up for NTL.

It is virtually always the case that you can use your old email address with a new connection so long as you use the smtp setting of the new connection.

Even if you get a data plan from vodafone you will still be faced with this problem afaik.

If you ask in the mobiles forum people there might give you better advice on the best set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I think you've missed the point folks. To access a hotspot you need to login and authenticate. Which by just putting in the settings it won't do. I'd say you will have to open your browser and authenticate. And if the hotspot is clever enough to recognise your MAC as authenticated you should have no problem. But email ports will be blocked until your authenticate by logging in

Advertisement