Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Towel Rails in Ensuites

Options
  • 23-10-2009 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭

The plumber and electrician are getting started on site this week. We have a bit of issue with towel rails. We are going with ground source heatpump and UFH throughout (upstairs and downstairs) so we won't have any radiators. It is possible to run towel rails off this system or should we go with the electric element insert for a standard towel rail. I am aware of the potential higher costs with the electric element. Any advice would be much appreciated. Is there other options?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,254 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The plumber and electrician are getting started on site this week. We have a bit of issue with towel rails. We are going with ground source heatpump and UFH throughout (upstairs and downstairs) so we won't have any radiators. It is possible to run towel rails off this system or should we go with the electric element insert for a standard towel rail. I am aware of the potential higher costs with the electric element. Any advice would be much appreciated. Is there other options?

could the element be used as a 'booster'???

the UFH system will only reach temps of circa 40-50deg...

Get a timer incorporated so you can set it for, say, 20 mins after you have shower / bath to dry towels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mark2003

Go with the electrical element towel rail,they have become very efficient and you can have it on when you want it.Geothermal heating wont heat it hot enough and will be hot the wrong times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

Yes it is possible. With the condensing boiler the water still needs to return to the boiler at 55C for it to work most effectivly .
    There is a temperature regulator on the pipework to the underfloor part of the system (so your floor does not get too hot & crack the concrete) but not to the coil to heat the hot water in the cylinder. If you plumb the towel rails to the hot side of the temperature sensor & you could use a clock & a motorised valve to bring the rails on & off ( they would just be another zone hotter than the under floor) it will work . I have it in my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭eugenedoc1

I agree with bertie,
    i have a condenser boiler and UFH throughout the house. Have a large heated towel rail in main bathroom and half size in ensuite. both plumbed back to boiler.No problems.

• Advertisement
Advertisement