Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best deal you ever saw?

Options
  • 23-10-2009 2:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭

Was watching HappyConsoleGamer on youtube and he was recounting how he bought a second hand Street Fighter II machine for $50 in the mid 90s off a guys who used to install arcade machines in his area and had loads of older ones he was trying to off load (and who obviously didn't think they were worth much).

$50 for a good condition SF2 machine must be one of the best deals I've heard about

Just wondering what is the best [EDIT] Retro gaming [/EDIT] deal you guys have ever seen, and even better if for some chance of fate you missed the deal and now cry yourself to sleep each night :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭mega man

there were great deals in the north last christmas when the sterling was equal to the euro. i picked up a 1000euro laptop from currys on the other side of the border for 550 euro!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

mega man wrote: »
    there were great deals in the north last christmas when the sterling was equal to the euro. i picked up a 1000euro laptop from currys on the other side of the border for 550 euro!

sorry, I meant deals related to retro-gaming :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭mega man

sorry i didnt read your post properly! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 34,693 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Well here are my own best deals I've bought over the last few years.

Best on ebay was a Sega Mega CD 2 for €2.19. Still smile when I think about that one :D

Close second was a mint fully boxed Nes in a secondhand shop that looked like it had just rolled out of the factory for €15.00. Would love to know how it ended up there in that condition.

Then there was the Snes with two controllers and about 15-20 of its best games for €15.00...also in a second hand shop.

In to the more expensive good deals -

Arcade cab with a Neogeo MVS 1 slot, three games and 28 inch Hantarex polo with a perfect image for 120euro.

PGM mobo for about 40 euro because the auction was named incorrectly. Think they're worth about 150.

Plenty of auctions that make me cry myself to sleep...we try not to think of those though :(

Most recent was a pink konami justifier light gun on ebay. They're worth quite a lot of money due to rarity. The auction was on 20 sterling in the last minute. I tried to put a bid in at 20 seconds but the connection kept timing out until the auction was over.

It ended at 20 sterling.

Even worse, I gave up my lunch break in work to bid on that. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Wicknight wrote: »
    sorry, I meant deals related to retro-gaming :P

I don't know what the normal rate is, but a couple of years back I got an Atari 2600jr + 4 or 5 games for 50c in a local charity shop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

I bought a Sega Nomad in Canada for $80 CAD, that was 40 euro. I also bought a Sega Saturn, boxed with 20 games for 50 euro but that was when I got back to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,693 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Actually, I've mentioned it here before, but this is the best deal I've ever heard of -

http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2006/06/garage_sales_unearths_nintendo.php

100 snes games for $40 at a garage sale is fairly damn good deal, but having many many prototypes included in that, some worth thousands? Some of them are so rare they made the five Starfox competition carts included in the deal look as common as muck? Insane is the only word I can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Dark Savior

Best deal I got was for 28 unboxed Nes carts for €18 in a car boot a few years back,it kickstarted my whole retro collecting bug.Biggest regret was missing out on a massive megadrive auction that finally sold for £24.I'd been watching it for over a week but got invited to a party and over-slept the morning of the auction:mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Umm, nothing great but in England I got a saturn for 9.99 (Pounds) and a Dreamcast for 5.99. Also a GameGear for 4 pounds. I seen a lynx and a SNES for 9.99 each aswell but I didn't want to spend all my money. At a car boot sale (here) got Marvel vs. Capcom 2 in mint condition on the xbox for a fiver. Oh and a boxed Master System with 7 game for 15e. Not massive finds but I was happy. Theres a few more aswell but I'm not bothered typing them out

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,566 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The one that got away for me was a Virtua Racing arcade machine, that is the pcbs themselves, a PC based steering wheel and pedals, along with 3 monitors and some PSUs and I would have had my dream arcade machine at home, I think he was only looking for around 90 euro for it too, but I second guessed myself and let it slip away :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Picked up a 1982 (iirc) Spy Hunter upright cabinet in almost mint condition for free :) It was in amazing condition given it's age.. A backup set of game boards for it, only cost me £20... I did eventually order a set of repro sideart for it from the US, which cost £90..

Sold it on ebay when I was selling off a load of machines... and only got 100 quid for it.. guy said it was the best bargain he ever had :)

Advertisement