Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dressmaking course

Options
  • 23-10-2009 10:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Not sure if this is in the right area so feel free to move if it's not :)

Anyone know of a good dressmaking course in Dublin or Galway? I'm thinking of going with the Grafton Academy in Dublin - does anyone have any experience with them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Seoid

I'm doing the fashion design course in the Grafton Academy and I think it's very good but it seems to be quite focused on people who want to do it properly (i.e. spend years learning how to design & make skirts, tops, dresses, trousers etc). Maybe the dressmaking course is less so but I couldn't say. It is THE place to study fashion in Dublin though, so I'm sure you can't go wrong! I'm just doing the 11 week intro course, where you learn how to do skirts & make at least one skirt to your own measurements & I'm really enjoying it.

I'm also doing a dressmaking course with Roisin Cross silks in Dun Laoghaire (Dublin - www.silks.ie). The instructor there is fantastic but bear in mind that you need to pick a pattern first that would be suitable in silk, before you start (think stiff silk, not drapey silk unless you already know how to sew). This is also a bit more expensive than other places but everything is top quality & you learn from watching everyone else as well (& things she shows them, which you mightn't be doing at the time), which we can't do in the Grafton Academy.

I hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭FICOCO

:)Hi Vintage Kitten,

I teach beginners sewing lessons in Dublin 8 if you want to take a look at my blog http://embellishisland.blogspot.com
    I'm a past pupil of the Grafton Academy and a qualified and experienced teacher.

Ficoco.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭starfish12

go to the grafton academy and do the 10 week dresssmaking course, however apply well in advance as the classes are small (which is great) but means you can be on a waiting list for a while. Im on my second lot of 10 classes, and thouroughly enjoy it. You can make whatever you want and after 10 weeks you will pretty much be able for most commerical patterns. really reccommend it

Advertisement