Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cravings

Options
  • 23-10-2009 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭

Hello all,
    Not sure if this has been done before the search thing wouldnt let me look for other threads, sorry if it has been.
    But anyway, was listening to 2fm yesterday evening only to hear them talking about what cravings irish women get while pregnant it was really interesting hearing about them. There was some fantastically odd ones in my opinion, like firelighters and sucking on coal.

Was just wondering what kind of cravings you all have had or are having? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I've had a bit of a thing for shredded wheat! Not too mad or anything, except I was talking to my grandma yesterday and she had the very same craving when she was pregnant!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Cravings for non-food items is called Pica. I know my mother's friend had the firelighters one and gave in to it. Thinking about it now it's bloody mental, ingesting parrafin. :(

I haven't had any particular cravings, I do get a desire to drink Milk and eat green veg and red meat which I obey, I'm assuming that my body knows what it needs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

does fantasizing about Chinese takeaway count? :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

ebmma wrote: »
    does fantasizing about Chinese takeaway count? :D

We all fantasize about chinese take away. :D

edit: You can usually tell why you're craving a specific something from what it's rich in. Das Kitty is almost certainly after iron and calcium. My wife has cravings for spinach and ricotta tortellini. She says she doesn't even really enjoy it. That the baby's making her eat it. :D Again, that looks like it's for the iron and calcium.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Cigarettes.

I gave up just before I got pregnant and haven't so much as looked at one but in the last month or two every time I pass a person whose smoking I just want one desperately :(

Really dont want to go back on them after baby arrives

• Advertisement

Khannie wrote: »
    We all fantasize about chinese take away. :D

edit: You can usually tell why you're craving a specific something from what it's rich in. Das Kitty is almost certainly after iron and calcium. My wife has cravings for spinach and ricotta tortellini. She says she doesn't even really enjoy it. That the baby's making her eat it. :D Again, that looks like it's for the iron and calcium.

ok, what do people who want to eat firelighters crave then???:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I was in hospital beside a woman who had craved bleach!! She didn't indulge in it obviously but said it took all her will power not to.

eviltwin wrote: »
    I was in hospital beside a woman who had craved bleach!! She didn't indulge in it obviously but said it took all her will power not to.

this is horrible!!! :eek:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

There's some evidence that Pica is from a deficiency and that your body is confused as to what it needs. An aunt of mine used to eat newspaper, apparently today's newspapers would be no good as they've changed the ink used...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

ebmma wrote: »
    ok, what do people who want to eat firelighters crave then???:confused:

I haven't a clue :confused:

but....
    Das Kitty wrote: »
    There's some evidence that Pica is from a deficiency and that your body is confused as to what it needs.

I had heard this too.

• Advertisement

Das Kitty wrote: »
    There's some evidence that Pica is from a deficiency and that your body is confused as to what it needs. An aunt of mine used to eat newspaper, apparently today's newspapers would be no good as they've changed the ink used...

Really hope it wasn't lead she was craving. That's the only difference in ink I know about. Hence newspapers aren't any good for wiping windows with anymore :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I am mad into cabbage, green beans and butter at the moment - at the begining I was into rhubarb yogurt (mum loved it too with me)...my wierd one is pickles and icecream at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

I crave chipsticks crisps, I can't think of anything nutritional in them that I could be craving!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

eviltwin wrote: »
    Cigarettes.

I gave up just before I got pregnant and haven't so much as looked at one but in the last month or two every time I pass a person whose smoking I just want one desperately :(

Really dont want to go back on them after baby arrives

PLEASE PLEASE don't give in after you have the baby. I stopped when I got Pregnant the first time and it was an unexpected pregnancy. I started again when the baby was just 3 days old and it was the worst thing I ever did. It took me nearly a year to stop again. My excuse was that I couldn't handle the stress of the baby but I think it was the fags making me stressed not the baby!

Well done for stopping while pregnant though anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

foxy06 wrote: »
    PLEASE PLEASE don't give in after you have the baby. I stopped when I got Pregnant the first time and it was an unexpected pregnancy. I started again when the baby was just 3 days old and it was the worst thing I ever did. It took me nearly a year to stop again. My excuse was that I couldn't handle the stress of the baby but I think it was the fags making me stressed not the baby!

Well done for stopping while pregnant though anyway.

mine was an unexpected pregnancy, and i quit when i got pregnant too! Oce or twice ive slipped up, but havent had one in a long time and want to keep it that way! well done mums!

I get a lot of cravings at different times. I think it's my body telling me what I need. Even when its crappy stuff. I had an aversion to sugar for the first 3 1/2 or 4 months....and now from time to time i crave chocoalte or something sugary (this being odd as baby doesnt usually like chocolate, which is odd...as i do!) and wonder if the baby needs the sugars?

I've had cravings for runny egg yokes, steak, spinach....broccoli with garlic and lemon, ice cream, cadburys roses, pickles, rose turkisj delight, various fruits, veggie soups, cod...

the list goes on. It's mad! And caue i dont have a car, infuriating...sometimes i cant get out to get my craving foods and i just go mental!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

i'm in my 29th week and i've no cravings :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

lolli wrote: »
    i'm in my 29th week and i've no cravings :(:(

You could always pretend...nothing like being pregnant as an excuse to eat a tub of Ben and Jerrys!

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

You could always pretend...nothing like being pregnant as an excuse to eat a tub of Ben and Jerrys!

It's true! I did so today :P

hacked wrote: »
    wonder if the baby needs the sugars?

of course it does, like all the other human beings :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

haha good idea :D My biggest fear was that I might crave meat... been vegetarian for 15 years but thankfully that didnt happen

• Advertisement
Advertisement