Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stump shooting?

Options
  • 23-10-2009 9:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

I'm another hapless immigrant from the States and wanted to know if I'd have any problems just going off in a stretch of woods and shooting my longbow. Either field points at say a kick target or blunts or judo heads at deadfalls, leaves or whatever. As long as it wasn't private property would I be within the law or (if observed) would I be reported for wielding a deadly weapon with intent to have fun?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Carebear11

Can't say for sure if you would be done for it but if you were caught you could be accused of bow hunting which is illegal in Ireland, private property or not. I think I heard something along the lines of shooting a bow in public to be illegal due to lack of insurance and the like. On private property with the land owners permission it should be perfectly fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Panserborn

Yeah, I reckon shooting on private property WITH the owners permission is the only way to go. In a public place with a bow will draw the law I reckon!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

Carebear11 wrote: »
    Can't say for sure if you would be done for it but if you were caught you could be accused of bow hunting which is illegal in Ireland, private property or not. I think I heard something along the lines of shooting a bow in public to be illegal due to lack of insurance and the like. On private property with the land owners permission it should be perfectly fine.

Ye you would automatically think it was bow hunting!!! Thats the problem with this country! too many people jumping to crazy conclusions.
    Doesn't the government have you all traid very well!! ffsm

AFAIK there is no issue with shooting a bow anywhere in this land- i could be wrong- but its worse than the states for having your a** sued off so you can see its best to be on private land but thats not much protection really.

There are plenty who are into field archery..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Ed D.

Well, I showed my wife this post and its replies, and she said she would talk to a Garda about it. I'm saying I'll give it a go till I'm apprehended as the maniac lawbreaker I seem to be. My lovely lady is genuine Irish, by the way. Still have a way to go to get my guns over here too. Not trying to throw a back-handed slag either. I like the country, the people and the liberal attitude - for the most part. Anyway, I love my wife and I'm doing my best. Have to admit that I didn't feel like I was "escaping" from the States; it's big enough and diverse enough that there was a lot I still wanted to see. Alaska for one. Did I mention my wife is beautiful inside and out and an angel?

Advertisement