Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nick Griffin on Question Time - demonized in an unfair debate?

Options
  • 23-10-2009 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

Before someone shouts at me - i think he's a racist and a homophobe, and i thoroughly dislike him and what he stands for.

However, i feel that last night's Question Time was a bit of a shambles. The whole crowd was only there to heckle and boo, which in turn co-orsed the other panel members to jump on the bandwagon and promote their own agendas.

For instance when Nick tried to make the point about "indigenous people", he was saying that he wasn't factoring skin colour into it. Yet people just started shouting "white" at him. Then that muppet from the British Museum piped up saying "what is indigenous? When the ice caps melted everyone came up from Africa". And then everyone clapped. That's a completely mute point. By that logic there is no such thing as indigenous plants or wildlife, and that the whole of Ireland could go down to Africa to live with the Aboriginal Tribes...because i'm actually indigenous to Africa. But you can guarantee if that was to happen there would be people shouting about too much change happening in the Tribe lands too fast.

I just think that the panel and crowd were so intent on making him look extremely racist, that the BNP's policies and beliefs were not even considered and discussed. I have no doubt that the resulting outcome would have been that the BNP is stupid (highly articulate, i know), but it didnt even come close to that point last night.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭ironingbored

I watched the debate last. I was delighted that Griffin was shown up as the fascist bigot and entirely disagreeable person that he is. Having said that i was extremely disappointed with the calibre of the panel and certain comments by the audience. The bumbling Jack Straw, anodyne Chris Huhne and incomprehensible Sayeeda Warsi showed what's wrong with mainstream politics.

I can't really see the BNP picking up that many converts from Griffin's smirking, smarmy, fidgety display.

There are two serious but separate issues that needed to be tackled; one is immigration and the other is integration and relations between Britain's ethnic groups.

Griffin's ridiculous reference to Britain's indigenous population could be used to tell him to **** off back to Saxony and Angeln. There is no doubt that there are northern white working class who are disaffected and need to be brought in from the political cold. The way to do this is through education and representation, two things at which New Labour have failed miserably.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Classic case of too many chefs spoiling the broth.

They were all so busy trying to score points he ended up looking like the victim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Racism Exists. FACT.

We can all come on here and wave our woolly liberal wet knickers in the air and pretend that there are no racists in the world, but guess what, there are.
    These people have what they believe to be a legitimate grievance and are entitled to air it.

Advertisement