Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Are car garages open on Bank hol mon??

Options
  • 22-10-2009 10:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭

Are car garages open on Bank hol mon??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

If there are any left, I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Heading up North they will all be open as it's not a bank holiday up there, might not be an option from Cork though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Not in my experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭votejohn

Thought as much!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,762 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Bank Holiday ? ! Ha! You'll be lucky - they don't even open Sat afternoon FFS..........I just cannot understand the mentality of closing on the day of the week you're most likely to meet walk-ins..........madness.

Why do you think Penney's/Dunnes/et al are opened Sundays? ....because the walk-in business on that day is now the busiest of the week. They could close Monday and no-one would notice.

Come to think of it, the local car sales/service guy does that near me - open 'til 5-6 on Sat, closed Monday. Not a bad idea.......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭votejohn

galwaytt wrote: »

Come to think of it, the local car sales/service guy does that near me - open 'til 5-6 on Sat, closed Monday. Not a bad idea.......

Same with hair dressers.

It is ridiculous, you'd think one of the young fellas in a sales garage would be more than happy to open up on the weekends and get the commission!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,189 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think it was discussed here before by those in the trade that weekends seem to be the days that there are more tyre kickers in showrooms whereas those who buy tend to turn up during the week.

I'd have to agree, I've never bought a car on Saturday. I've looked at cars at the weekend but came back during the week to conduct the deal if the car is what I want.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I think it was discussed here before by those in the trade that weekends seem to be the days that there are more tyre kickers in showrooms whereas those who buy tend to turn up during the week.

I'd have to agree, I've never bought a car on Saturday. I've looked at cars at the weekend but came back during the week to conduct the deal if the car is what I want.

well, I dunno what jobs ye have, but leaving my work to look at cars during the 9-5 is completely out of the question.

Fwiw, for a few years, they were running a big 'Car Sale' once a year from Galway Racecourse, on a Saturday/Sunday. Anyhoo, we were looking for something at the time, and you have to pass Western Motors (MB / VAG at the time) and to get there. They, displaying rare nous, had a 'sale' the same day (and didn't have to pay for a stand at the racecourse, either...), and had a few cars and signs outside, prominently. No, they had an E200K Avantgarde I'd been ogling for ages, but it was way too dear - 34k iirc at the time.

Anyhoo, wheeled in, and so sign of the E in the car park -damn ! - sold. :( So, made a bee-line for the showroom (Sunday, remember...), and there was 'my' E, inside in pole position........long story short, bought the car, and for 5.5k less than originally stickered for. I specifically made the comment to the sales guy at the time that he should mention to the Powers That Be that if they hadn't opened on the weekend - let alone the Sunday - he wouldn't have sold the car.

I wonder how many other 'tyre-kickers' sales are lost per year, over things like this ?

....sigh..........should have kept that car........loved it.........bit of a fubar on my part, that.............

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

...crumbs, just thinking about it now, I can still smell the new-car smell off the leather.........sigh........

Ode To The Motorist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Lads, I dont know what garages you are talking about, but in my experience any garage that I have dealt with either through work or my own personal experience, has been open from at least 10 to 5 on a Saturday.

• Advertisement
Advertisement