Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

James May - New Series

Options
  • 22-10-2009 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Starts on Tuesday 27th opn BBC2, featuring a lot of Lego

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Thanks mike, I'll def be watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

Did anyone get their airfix last night?? :)

May tried to get todays school kids to dabble in airfix kits, something which he played with loads when he was young. The whole focus of the show was on building/creating a 1:1 scale model of a Spitfire in an airfix style assembly kit,that would be possible for the school kids to assemble.

To be honest, I cant say i have assembled more than 5 or 6 air fix kits in my life but clearly for May it is a massive part of his childhood, and there was no denying his enthusiasm for the project as a hole as he tried to get the kids to drop their ipods in search of his nostalgic views.

It was entertaining, but I hope the next shows are a little better, perhaps it was the subject matter in this case. Next week is play-doh

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Thought this was pretty terrific. Kudos to May, the model makers and all of the kids involved. No denying getting it made and stable is an impressive feat. The tank going over the car (low quality DVD quip) was a pop at Clarkson, right? I liked the little movie with the model tanks.

Roll on next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Why did I say Lego? That must be a future programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

missed it :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I saw it and spent the whole episode going "Stupid kids!"

I was so jealous :p

it was great, next week's episode looks way better though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

CamperMan wrote: »
    missed it :mad:

Its on again this Sunday at 7:00pm, BBC 2 (England/Northern Ireland only)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00nqmlb/episodes/upcoming

I think tonights was better, not that I was ever a fan of Plasticine I have to say. Meccano next week. Big boys toys!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

mike65 wrote: »
    I think tonights was better, not that I was ever a fan of Plasticine I have to say. Meccano next week. Big boys toys!

I still have my meccano set, the proper metal one, not the crappy plastic one.
    Go away with yer 'boys toys'.

Not a fan of mala then? used to love getting the packet of plasticine with all the different colours, and every time not realising in a week it would be a browny grey mess.

Bump!
    Tonight @8!

Meccano!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Edwina Currie, dear god. Thankfully she wasn't in it much. Not sure about the Apprentice ish auditions, but no matter. French bashing, a predictable and tiresome habit.

This one was definitely more science bound than the plasticine affair so that was fun, but I don't think I enjoyed it as much as the others. Still, it seemed to be a solid effort from the students, designers and co. The size of the feckin' plans! There was a promo for Top Gear before it, too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

great series

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The first two were great. The mecanno one was a bit crap tbh.

I can't wait for the train / lego finale. it'll be great!

Season 1 Episode 4 of 6

Scalextric w00t!

The Top Gear presenter sets out to re-create the famous banked Brooklands track in Surrey, made entirely out of Scalextric pieces. Toy enthusiasts join James as he puts together 20,000 sections of track over the original 2.75-mile circuit, and local residents pit their racing skills against a team from the official Scalextric Club

watchin it at the moment. Did the designer guy, Sim, have a house on grand designs at some point. He looks really familiar and the name is familiar too.

EDIT: seems he was on Scrapheap Challenge

That was quite good fun, pretty impressive considering all of the obstacles. I would have liked to see more of the handovers/when the next batch of controllers picked things up, but as someone said (James or Tiff), they seemed quite seamless for the most part. The actual racing bit was longer than I thought it was going to be, but then 2+ miles is a long circuit given the size of the cars.

That was great, definitely the best so far.

The Scalextric website was down for a good bit. You can't pay for that kind of advertising!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

The Scalextric website was down for a good bit. You can't pay for that kind of advertising!

I am guessing it costs about the price of 3 miles of track. :D

Only got to watch it last night on the iplayer, best show so far. I remember when buy&sell came out first, my cousin buying an ass load of skeltrix track and laying a massive track up in their ceiling. Used to be great, but it took ages to warm up.....I was a bit young, but maybe it was because we hadn't used separate transformers like they did??

BOO! No show this week!! Final two shows over the"festive period" according to here http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00nqmlb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

Loved this show, recorded the episode with sky+, but I can't help with wonder if the race was fixed.

Adriatic wrote: »
    Loved this show, recorded the episode with sky+, but I can't help with wonder if the race was fixed.

+1

i was a bit suspicious of how the pulled back such a huge lead and then lost it again. I'd definitly say it was at least partially scripted

Back on Sunday at 7pm. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Can't believe they held out on the Lego episode, but its to be shown in this batch, apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I agree the meccano one was a bit meh. The students annoyed the bejaysus out of me with their attitude.

The kids in the Airfix episode annoyed me too with their "I think its more a toy for older people" type comments. I was sooo envious of them.

However the scalextric episode and plasticine episodes were great. I loved him taking the piss out of the chelsea flower show snobs. I cant wait for the lego episode or the hornby trainset episode.

Bump James May then TG then Oz and James on the piss

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

You mean Oz and Hugh

Stupid Hugh!

Oz was in the episode though, which was very good :D

Modular bricks are the future of construction, once the lack of air, fire and waterproofing are sorted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Yer wan crying was an embarrasment....pull yerself together love!

• Advertisement

Last one tonight 7 pm - a model railway

Hornby The presenter tries to build the world's longest-ever model railway track, covering a 10-mile route between the Devon towns of Barnstaple and Bideford - which last had a regular train service more than 40 years ago. He is helped by thousands of members of the public, as well as wine expert and railway enthusiast Oz Clarke, but finds himself beset by the same problems that affect full-size train services - only on a much larger scale. Last in the series.

Advertisement