Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colleges for Animation in Dublin - IADT or Ballyfermot?

Options
  • 22-10-2009 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi everyone, I’m a bit new to the art boards and hope to be posting more soon but thanks so much for the key posts and sound portfolio advice so far, its all been really useful and would’ve been lost without it. :) I was also wondering if anyone experienced with animation college courses (or the above colleges) could give me some advice with this, I’d really appreciate it:

I’m interested in doing Animation after the Leaving Cert and was wondering what colleges people would recommend. At the moment I’m torn between IADT and Ballyfermot and am not sure which to choose. I’m familiar with IADT (did an animation portfolio prep course there, been to both colleges’ open days) but am still unsure about Ballyfermot. Its courses seem well laid out with a 1 year prep course beforehand, and then both courses for animation (HND and BA courses) are 2 years long and separate, rather than IADT which is just the 4 year long course. I’m most familiar with IADT’s campus, facilities and coursework etc.

Ballyfermot would be ideal for me because its closest and in a local area (I’m in Tallaght) but I’ve heard complaints about the campus & facilities etc. although the courses seem fine. Has anyone had experience with both colleges or just Ballyfermot (if anyone has done animation at either I’d love to hear what you think of them) and if so which would you recommend? What would be the downsides/pluses to the college of your choice?

Hope this is ok to ask and thanks so much for the help. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

I did the animation course at Ballyer a good while ago back when it was just a 3 three diploma in classic animation and I've also taught there more recently. Most people think Ballyer looks a little rough around the edges, you have to remember it's not a 100% art school but a PLC college with alot of random courses in more standard subjects unlike IADT which is more focused for Art. Ballyer's buildings and equipment are a bit run down but they make up for it by having very good teaching staff and a very focused and intense course. If your looking for the whole college experience thing then IADT is prob then better option but if your looking to work in animation Ballyer is better.

The set up of the course is good in that it's broken up into stages as alot of people start the one year ADS course but less then 50% go onto the diploma course [when I did it there was around 70 on the course and about half went on to the diploma]. Alot of people don't really understand what is involved in animation production and half way through the one year course decide not to continue to the 2 year course and the teachers are good at helping people redirect the portfolio's towards something more suited to them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭Cephei

IADT is good..

Advertisement