Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple Website Development

Options
  • 22-10-2009 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place, but I need to make a small website about my business that Im launching next year.

I basically only need one page to describe my new business, and pop a link to my free website.

I need a page that will come up quickly in search engines when people search key words.

Can this website be made easily?

Would I pay a lot to have someone make this one page site?

Any advise will be gratefully received, Im a web-design novice!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

votejohn wrote: »
    I basically only need one page to describe my new business, and pop a link to my free website.
    Can this website be made easily?

Yes, all you need is some basic HTML knowledge. With a bit of confidence and study you could learn everything you need to know in a weekend.

I need a page that will come up quickly in search engines when people search key words.

This is the tricky bit. Depending on your keywords, getting your website to appear in the first page of results takes time and a bit of effort.

Would I pay a lot to have someone make this one page site?

No, it should be quite cheap. Either hire an Irish person or outsource it (very cheap) using a website like www.scriptlance.com

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Yes, all you need is some basic HTML knowledge. With a bit of confidence and study you could learn everything you need to know in a weekend.

This is the tricky bit. Depending on your keywords, getting your website to appear in the first page of results takes time and a bit of effort.

No, it should be quite cheap. Either hire an Irish person or outsource it (very cheap) using a website like www.scriptlance.com

And don't forget that you are NOT guaranteed to be on Google at all, let alone some specific/high position.

Also, Web development will have to include domain/hosting fees so these must be factored in, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭votejohn

its important that the site does come up in search engines!

I need a one page site until the business is launched, then it will have to be a full on site.

i'd love to be able to design the site myself on one of those basic sites (weebly etc) and then launch it, but are there any sites like weebly that would have a decent quality result?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

Tell us more about your business and we will be able to offer you some proper practical advice but for now remember these golden rules:

-- your website is how people will see you. If you have a poor one it reflects badly on your business. If you are not in the business of designing websites then stick to what you are good at and get it professionally developed.

-- The amount of work and level of expenditure needed to 'come first in google' will depend on your requirements. Obviously the more competition out there for what you are selling will call for more professional SEO work to be carried out (off site SEO) - think online car insurance, booking holidays online etc. If you are selling hats for Donkeys to farmers in Sligo then with less competition for keyword position you will perform better with less effort.

-- The quality of work I have seen thus far that has been outsourced overseas has yet to come even close to matching the quality of work I have seen some web developers and designers produce here. That's not to say all overseas companies are cowboys producing poor quality work, I'm sure there are some good ones but they can't seem to be found.

If you want more advice then send me a PM. I'm not sure if the mods will allow me to recommend people here. I think we should have a sticky in this forum for people just like you who want to know who is good.

Go to this link - http://www.webdesignire.com/category/studio/ - and check out some of the best design talent in the country. You need to talk to guys like these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

its important that the site does come up in search engines!

I need a one page site until the business is launched, then it will have to be a full on site.

i'd love to be able to design the site myself on one of those basic sites (weebly etc) and then launch it, but are there any sites like weebly that would have a decent quality result?

Just bear in mind that the site will NOT appear in Google prior to launch; i.e. there is no way whatsoever of getting a one-page "Coming soon..." "site" with no content to register in Google.

Just in case you're thinking that having the page up before launch will provide some sort of a benefit.

Also, what does "and pop a link to my free website" mean ?

What is "the free website" ? And if that's in place and you're linking to it, why do you even need the new site ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 DaveyByrne

I'd recommend you build the site and work on the Search Engine Optimisation about 6 months prior to actually launching the business.

Google will take your site more seriously if you've been around longer, and have worked on your keywords and link-building efforts throughout that time.

Seems harsh, but there are millions of new websites created each day, and Google wants to index the most helpful ones, and so doesn't bother much with the newest ones.

Why spend money on a smaller site initially, and then do a proper one later? This will mean your Google optimising won't happen until too late. I'd say just bite the bullet and go for a proper site now.

If you google something like "purchase headstones" you will see that the most popular sites in Google are the ones telling you about how to actually do this... not the ones selling the headstones. This is the key to Google rankings. Give people information that helps others understand what you're doing, rather than actually trying to sell. This is why Wikipedia pages have such incredible page rankings on search engines.

If you need help with all this stuff give me a shout...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭votejohn

pontovic wrote: »
    Tell us more about your business and we will be able to offer you some proper practical advice but for now remember these golden rules:

-- The quality of work I have seen thus far that has been outsourced overseas has yet to come even close to matching the quality of work I have seen some web developers and designers produce here. That's not to say all overseas companies are cowboys producing poor quality work, I'm sure there are some good ones but they can't seem to be found.

Go to this link - http://www.webdesignire.com/category/studio/ - and check out some of the best design talent in the country. You need to talk to guys like these.

Wow, the portfolio looks great on that website!!!!!

My business is a Doggie Daycare Centre, i currently have a dog walking business, and fingers crossed the daycare will be launched next summer.

There shouldnt be too much competition in search engines re: doggie daycare in ireland as theres only three up and running, and all in dublin, but there are probably hundreds of thousands of doggie daycare centres up and running world wide.

Also, as you said above, Im going to find a company in ireland to make my site (i was contacted my an 'american college' to do my site for free if i give them credit card details to pay for hosting. No thanks!!).
    Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Just bear in mind that the site will NOT appear in Google prior to launch; i.e. there is no way whatsoever of getting a one-page "Coming soon..." "site" with no content to register in Google.

Just in case you're thinking that having the page up before launch will provide some sort of a benefit.

Also, what does "and pop a link to my free website" mean ?

What is "the free website" ? And if that's in place and you're linking to it, why do you even need the new site ?

Liam, im happy to have the site go live so people will know all about my business, i just plan on having a banner on it saying, for instance "coming soon, click here to register your interest".

My 'free site' is /thedoghouse.weebly.com/, its just a site i can easily edit (its a bit of a mess at the mo, but once i have a daycare site the weebly one will be solely dog walking info). I was just hoping to have a button on the new site that would say something like CLICK HERE FOR OUR DOG WALKING SITE etc. That site would then be deleted once I get the daycare up and running.

Im probably talking gobeldy gook! No clue about websites!
    DaveyByrne wrote: »
    I'd recommend you build the site and work on the Search Engine Optimisation about 6 months prior to actually launching the business.

Why spend money on a smaller site initially, and then do a proper one later? This will mean your Google optimising won't happen until too late. I'd say just bite the bullet and go for a proper site now.

Im planning on keeping the same site, just a basic version for now, and then elaborate (pics of premesis, info about staff, dirrections etc) once I actually open, i dont wanna do a complete website overhaul in 12months, just a spring clean!!

By the way thanks everyone for all your advice, im really clueless at this kind of stuff!

Advertisement