Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nausea

Options
  • 22-10-2009 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Im 8 weeks pregnant and I have terrible nausea all day long, in the mornings I have to vomit a couple of times. Has anyone experienced this? I cannot even move until 4 or 5 in the evening. I was given all the natural remedies (ginger, 6 smal meals..), but they don´t work.

Has anybody been prescribed with any drug for this? Or is there anything I can buy over the counter?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I don't think there's too much you can do about it to be honest. :(

My wife nibbles on ginger nut biscuits and tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

I was the same from about 8 - 11 weeks and couldn't find much relief from anything.
    Though someone did recommend travel sickness bands to me after, might be worth a try?

If it gets very bad you might be as well going to see your doc as they'll want to make sure you don't get dehydrated with all the vomiting.

Fingers crossed the nausea will ease off soon :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

If you're puking that much you should talk to your doctor. Hopefully in 4-6 weeks you'll start feeling better but in the meantime you may need extra fluids etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭bumpintraining

Hi Heidi;
    Congratulations on your pregnancy!! My heart goes out to any mother suffering with morning sickness I had it luckily only for about a week but it was so draining I can't imagine having it all the time, sorry wished I could give you a magical cure, just drink loads of fluids found it easier to vomit.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Princessa

I got the travel sickness bands and i found them kind of effective...
    They do not get rid of that awful nausea feeling but they certainly reduced the amount of times i was vomiting throughout the day... say i was vomiting 8 times for example, with the bands on i might vomit about 5-6.

I know its sooooo hard to eat when you feel so awful but its worse vomiting on an empty stomach, try eating small things like cream crackers etc.

If the vomiting is really extreme ive heard of cases where doctors will take you into hospital and put you on tablets and the drip but theres no over the counter tablets that you can buy unfortunatly. Hopefully i will settle down in a few weeks for you, best of luck. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks everybody :) I got the wrist bands and they´re helping a bit. I guess I just have to wait.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

congratulations and welcome to a few months of wondering what the hells happening to my body now!!! i had the most god awful morning sickness for about 4 months.. i lost 2 stone...the best thing i found was peppermint tea... ginger actually left me feeling worse.. and sometimes salty crackers like ritz or tuc...sucking boiled sweets or a lollipop helped sometimes.. but mostly you just have to hang in there and remember what its all for...:) hope it helps

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Nicki123

You poor thing. I too went on the extreme "morning" sickness diet :rolleyes: and lost 2 stone in 12 weeks. I had difficulty even keeping sips of water down so was admitted to hospital 3 times to rehydrate me. In the hospital they gave me stemitol ( anti-nausea drug ) and it gave me some respite. I found sipping Ribena and nibbling cream crackers all day long helped a little bit. It's personal for everyone but I couldnt stand the look, smell or taste of meat so subsisted on mashed potatoes and peas on the days that I could eat some dinner.

If you're worried about becoming dehydrated you should go to your maternity hospital and have them assess you. Otherwise, try to keep something light in your stomach all the time so you dont get hungry and remember, it will pass. I promise the results are soooo worth it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

Last time I was in Boots I noticed that Mum-to-be Plus (small purple cardboard box) vitamins. They have ginger extract in them, might be helpful for morning sickness..
    I might try them for next pregnancy anyway :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭Chesty LaRue

I am 18wks pregnant. Second pregnancy - first pregnancy was a breeze compared to this one. This time I have suffered with ALL-DAY sickness up until 14wks, had a break for 2wks and it is back again albeit not as bad. I used to wake during the night to vomit! It is the most horrendous feeling! To be honest, I tried everything, (ginger biscuits, ginger ale, peppermint, wristbands etc...) and nothing really helped. A neighbour of mine also on 2nd pregnancy is 23wks and v. sick. She is getting accupuncture twice a week and it has helped her. Not totally gone but only has it in the mornings now. Maybe it might be worth a try for you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭~me~

you poor thing! I had it all day every day for the whole pregnancy, dunno how i survived, basically ate nothing for the 90% of the pregnancy, most of what i did eat came back up!

a few things stayed down and helped with the nausea- boiled 7up, complan (nutritional drink), dry chicken, popcorn, jelly. thats about it!

it should settle down by the 12 week mark but unfortunately its just something you've to ride out. if you get dehydrated they may take you in to be put on a drip but before twelve weeks they prob wont give any medicine. even after some docs wont, they wouldnt give me any medicine except gaviscon :rolleyes: which is too harsh if you're stomach has literally been empty for months!

some other things that might help:

dont drink before meals- worst thing you can do- wait til you're finished.

eat breakfast/ ginger nut biscuits in bed before you get up

place both feet on the ground and sit for a few mins before you get out of bed, and place feet to ground for a few secs every time you're about to stand up, something about the centre of gravity! :o

walk or sit outside, fresh air helps! although its the last thing you want when you're sick!

hope this helps!

it gets better and its all worth it! and then when baby comes you still wont be able to eat cause you'll have no time! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

the strangest thing i've discovered today diet coke gets rid of my indigestion!!! and it's so much nicer than gavisgon!!!!! i've been chewing them for weeks!! (liquid makes me sick) this baby is going to have dredlocks to it's buttcheeks!! hahaha :D

Advertisement