Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mexico & Cancun!

Options
  • 22-10-2009 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭

Howdy Travellers,

I'm hoping someone can help me with details on how to get the best last minute deal for Mexico & Cancun.

I'm getting married at the end of the year and the way things are going we will probably be booking the honeymoon real last minute. That means we will have to sort flights and hotels ourselves. At the moment flights for the dates we are travelling (first three weeks of Jan) are pretty reasonable from Dublin to Cancun at around 1250 or so... if I leave it late to book these will they go up?

Then it comes to the hotel, obviously would love to get a good hotel that is all inclusive, in peoples experience would it be best to book these last minute also or should I be looking to try and book something sooner rather than later?

Thanks for any help or advice people can give me

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Howdy Travellers,

I'm hoping someone can help me with details on how to get the best last minute deal for Mexico & Cancun.

I'm getting married at the end of the year and the way things are going we will probably be booking the honeymoon real last minute. That means we will have to sort flights and hotels ourselves. At the moment flights for the dates we are travelling (first three weeks of Jan) are pretty reasonable from Dublin to Cancun at around 1250 or so... if I leave it late to book these will they go up?

Then it comes to the hotel, obviously would love to get a good hotel that is all inclusive, in peoples experience would it be best to book these last minute also or should I be looking to try and book something sooner rather than later?

Thanks for any help or advice people can give me

If you leave it late the flights will almost certainly go up.

Have you thought about booking through a UK travel agent? First Choice do lots of Cancun holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

Cheers Fred, I'll get the flights booked as soon as possible then and can worry about the hotel afterwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Might be worth contacting Marks Travel in the UK and seeing what offers they have for the dates you're looking at. The weak price of sterling at the moment offers serious bargains. The Moon Palace in Cancun is beautiful but I prefered Play del Carmen just south of Cancun as a resort.
    http://markstravel.co.uk/viewresults.asp?sd=1

Might be worth contacting Marks Travel in the UK and seeing what offers they have for the dates you're looking at. The weak price of sterling at the moment offers serious bargains. The Moon Palace in Cancun is beautiful but I prefered Play del Carmen just south of Cancun as a resort.

That idea never crossed my mind, will certainly look into that further, just a quick look on that site does seem to show some good value for money. Believe it or not I was looking at cancun on google earth and I saw a complex which turned out to be Moon Palace, would certainly be interested in staying there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭YamaMotoYama

Check when the rain season is over there - I was there is 2001 and when it rains... it really rains! We were there in Sept and the season was just starting...

Apart from that - I'd go back in the morning ;o) Great spot...

• Advertisement

heh! I'm just back from there.
    Theres more places to stay than water in the sea.

We had a look at a lot of them the other week.

Whats your budget for accomadation?
    Also you might want to consider booking direct with places out there,reputable places as you will be charged in u.s dollars which is even better value than the pound at the moment.

As for flying to cancun,If you can get aerlinbgus to Orlando,then jet blue fly down to cancun.
    Jet blue are excelent and code share with Aerlingus so you might be able to book that all as one.
    If you are doing that include a stop over in Orlando-well worth it.

Any questions - just ask-you might want to pm me to remind me to answer though!

Incidently if you want to do 5 nights somewhere luxurious and the rest somewhere cheaper in cancun...then try here
    Totally all in.
    We know it's all in as we were walking the beach and went in from the beach for a look [it's got a long drive and security at the road gates] and tried to pay for our lunch there and they said no..it was included :p
    The beach bar was the place to be for the rest of that day I can tell you :p

It's beautiful by the way :)

Will be going in January which isn't in the rainy season I believe.

Thanks for the advice and re-assurances regarding the hotel Black Briar. The thought of splitting the accommodation out didn't cross our minds either but it is definitely worth exploring.

We haven't decided on a final budget yet, first of all I'll get the flights booked (will look into the stop over in Orlando for sure) and then we can look at the hotels. Glad to hear that there are plenty of them out there!! If I have any detailed questions I'll be certain to pm you...

Howdy guys,
    So we've booked our flights, go on the 1st of Jan and come back on the 22nd.. a nice 3 weeks holiday!!

We are more than likely going to go for an all inclusive resort and so far dreams is winning for us.. has anyone ever stayed there or had any experience in an all inclusive resort?? Any details will be helpful, such as what's the protocol when you're beer is empty?!

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

Regarding all inclusive:
    Just ask politely for a refill, it's no problem. I found that if you tip (maybe a $1 or 20peso note every so often) thay really look after you and will make you special drinks and shots along with your request! I'm just back from Cancun, it's beautiful!

We spent several hours "visiting" an all inclusive resort by accident on riviera maya.
    It was just a walk up the beach from our own and everything was on tap , we soon discovered.
    We left generous tips [well we had some conscience!] but you could literally sit at any of the bars and they'd pull beers for you non stop-as many as you wanted.

The one we visited was this one -secrets capri which seems to be a sister resort to the one you are thinking of [it's linked to down at the bottom of the dreams riviera cancun site].
    The facilities were amazing and all inclusive.

I'd very very highly recommend it if you can get a deal there.
    You are also only a short walk down the beach to a few of the other very luxurious resorts there with fine dining a plenty [eg rosewood and the mandarin oriental].

You might want to try a virtuoso travel agent.They book luxury hotels for you at the lowest available price but negotiate upgrades and amenity packages at no extra cost to you -but amenities that you wouldn't get if booking on your own like room upgrades spa vouchers etc.I've used them no problems even though they are mostly USA or UK based.

Hope that helps.

• Advertisement

Right folks it's down to two hotels

1. Dreams

or

2. Riu Palace

Has anybody stayed in either of these places? Would anyone recommend them?!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭jt_dublin

Krattapopov,

I would reiterate Gran Hermano's advice... Playa del Carmen is a much nicer resort and it's only 1 hour south of Cancun. One reason is that there is a lovely town centre there with a mile long pedestrian street of great bars, restaurants & shops. It has a lovely upmarket feel and a great buzz to it too.

In Cancun, the hotel strip is a 20 dollar taxi ride out of the town and there is not much else out there. The hotels are far apart, so there is really nowhere to go outside of the hotels, except for the odd bar & restaurant here & there. Most of them you will need to get a taxi to. On one occassion it took me about 40 minutes to get into town in a taxi because of evening traffic! Plus you are going for 3 weeks. For me I would have to get out of the hotel from time to time. If walking, that means walking along a long & busy road. Downtown Cancun is not pretty and is fairly soul-less! I've stayed in Playa del Carmen, Cancun & Cozumel and Playa is definitely the best by a mile.

Here is a list of hotels good available in January in Playa and you can see what people are saying about them on Tripadvisor. Looking at them, the Playacar Palace, and the Royal Hideaway Playacar seem really good and are very close to the town centre.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/HACSearch?geo=150812&inDay=1&inMonth=01%2F2010&checkIn=1%2F1%2F2010&outDay=22&outMonth=01%2F2010&checkOut=1%2F22%2F2010&searchAll=false&adults=2&geo=150812&refineForm=true&hs=&sortOrder=popularity&availability=&l1price=0%2C999999&l1rating=4%2C999999&zfc_5=5&zfc_4=4&zfa_0=0&zfb_0=0&zfb_0=0&nameContains=&t_7=7&l1currency=1#02,1261437895434,bc_airports:S,bc_convention_centers:S,cb:Azfc_5|zfc_4|t_7,l1rating:S4|999999,nameContains:S

If you feel that you've made your mind up about Cancun, then maybe do a 2 centre holiday such as 10 days in each. You wont regret going to Playa.

Enjoy the sunshine!

JT.

Hi jt_dublin, many thanks for the detailed reply and it's something that I'll talk with the other half about and see about possibly breaking up our trip between two resorts.

We have pretty much made up our minds to stay in one of the two places that I've listed (be it for 10 days or longer) but I'll definitely look at some places in playa del carmen.

It's our first holiday in over three years and to be honest we really don't plan on doing much except relax, eat and drink!

Will look at options for splitting the holiday tonight, and again thanks for the info and advice

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭gqma0

I second Gran Hermano on Playa del Carmen. Not as mad as Cancun. Stayed in Oasis Akumal for our honeymoon. Real heaven !! I got the hotels deals at the time with cancunreservations.com and they gave discount for honeymooners.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

I know this is an old thread but thinking of heading to Mexico in late June for two weeks. Two adults and two teens aged 15 & 17. Marks travel mentioned above seems to have disappeared. Any other recommended options for all inclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭johnire

Hi there
    Without a doubt I would recommend the Hyatt Ziva.
    We stayed there for a week last May and it was fabulous.
    The accommodation,meals and staff are second to none.
    If you want any further information on it just ask.
    :-)

I know this is an old thread but thinking of heading to Mexico in late June for two weeks. Two adults and two teens aged 15 & 17. Marks travel mentioned above seems to have disappeared. Any other recommended options for all inclusive.

johnire wrote: »
    Hi there
    Without a doubt I would recommend the Hyatt Ziva.
    We stayed there for a week last May and it was fabulous.
    The accommodation,meals and staff are second to none.
    If you want any further information on it just ask.
    :-)

Hiya, we booked last night. €5520 for 2 weeks through TUI: I'm just a passenger - I almost always leave it to herself. My wife and the eldest teenager want to go to mexico - I'd be happier at the IOM TT.

Grand Bahia Principe Coba in Riviera Maya

Mon 25 Jun 2018, 14 nights, 2 adults, 2 teenagers

Dublin Flights, Check-in luggage
    All Inclusive, 2x Superior Junior Suite with Balcony or Terrace
    Coach transfers,

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭xraylady

Sounds great. Are flights through UK?

xraylady wrote: »
    Sounds great. Are flights through UK?

Nope, direct non stop from Dublin. 9hrs.

Advertisement