Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gearbox tries to move itself out of gear, some help needed.

Options
  • 22-10-2009 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭

Just to describe the problem, I conked the car the other night in the reverse gear and after this the problem appeared.

When I am in 4th gear, if I put my foot down on the accelerator then the gear stick moves as if it's trying to take itself out of gear. 4th gear is the only gear affected.

To be clear, it doesn't actually move out of gear but the gear stick kicks forward from the 4th position towards neutral by nearly an inch. It doesn't affect the drive at all but it gets annoying.

I was wondering if anyone knows what it could be? Is it safe to drive with this?

My car is a 2001 VW polo 1.0L (Mark 3 Phase 2).

If I need a new (refurbished or 2nd hand) gearbox, how much would a gearbox be for a car like this? How much would I expect in labour costs?

Thanks in advance for all help given.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭ak51535

Suspect synchromesh gone (worn) on shaft that controls 4th gear and reverse, when ya conked it in reverse, you damaged the synchromesh...needs gearbox to be overhauled...hope this helps ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

More likely to be an engine/gearbox mounting.

@ak51535 I don't believe the snychro for 4th and reverse are on the same selector, more likely to be 3rd and 4th on the one selector. I have also no idea how stalling a car in reverse could have this effect on 4th gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I've seen this before on a 6n2 Polo and indeed it was as Slidey said an engine mount

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

Thanks for the replies, I'll get it checked out today then. If it's a worn synchromesh I think I'll delay the cost of overhauliing the gearbox as I'd imagine it's pricey. Thanks again.

Advertisement