Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Parking ticket in NI - what to do?

Options
  • 22-10-2009 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi all,

I've just been sent a parking ticket for a car I bought in NI on the 02/08/09. The parking ticket is for 01/08/09 (the day before I bought) so the garage would be liable for it. The thing is, I've just checked the receipt and the 31/07/09 is down as the purchase date, which is obviously wrong and I should have caught it when buying the car but there you go. I registered the car down here a few qeeks ago.

Options are:
    1. Ignore the fine - what would happen?
    2. Send back the document with my receipt changed to the real purchase date (02/08/09). I could have some back up info like emails and plane ticket for meeting on that date - hopefully haven't deleted them.
    3. Ring the garage and explain the situation and demand that they pay the fine - not going to go so well I think, currently in discussion on EGR valve problem that I'm demanding them to pay.

Any opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

1. Ignore the fine - what would happen?

Well that's what I would do. Shar what are they going to do?
    How much is it for?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

How much is the fine ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

I would put it in the bin.

However, if you do have a consience about this sort of thing, its not the date on the reciept that matters, its the date on the form of "change of ownership" which the garage will have sent to the DVLNI, which will determine who takes responsibility for the parking offense.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 jugovic

Fine for 'Parked without clearly displaying a valid pay and display ticket'

Fine is 60 pounds - Pay by 05/11/09 or charge will go up to 90 pounds. Failure to pay the increased amount may result in charge being recovered by the Enforcement of Judgements Office as a civil debt or your vehicle being clamped / removed.

So 'Civil debt', and they know my address, what could happen?

jugovic wrote: »
    Fine for 'Parked without clearly displaying a valid pay and display ticket'

Fine is 60 pounds - Pay by 05/11/09 or charge will go up to 90 pounds. Failure to pay the increased amount may result in charge being recovered by the Enforcement of Judgements Office as a civil debt or your vehicle being clamped / removed.

So 'Civil debt', and they know my address, what could happen?

A civil matter can only be enforced in the same country. Assuming you live in the R.O.I. the Northern ticket issuing enforement, has no authority in the R.O.I.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 jugovic

Bin is tempting stealthyspeeder! How can I find out the date for the i"change of ownership" which the garage will have sent to the DVLNI? Is it online somewhere?

jugovic wrote: »
    Bin is tempting stealthyspeeder! How can I find out the date for the i"change of ownership" which the garage will have sent to the DVLNI? Is it online somewhere?

If your now the owner of the car, there shouldn't be a prob with getting the DVLNI to share these details with you, I would ring them and ask for an address or e-mail address (unlikely they will do it on the phone) that you can contact them with, and then they should send on the info that they were given regarding your car.

Advertisement