Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potterton Gas Boiler

Options
  • 22-10-2009 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Boiler that was fitted in 2003 and having been serviced started to give trouble 2006.New electrodes fitted and eventually after threats of legal action Potterton replaced the PCB board and another set of electrodes in 2008.Problems started again this week,Bord Gais fitted new electrodes however problem still exists now they advise a new fan has to be fitted.Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭MiniGolf

vivwoj2111 wrote: »
    Boiler that was fitted in 2003 and having been serviced started to give trouble 2006.New electrodes fitted and eventually after threats of legal action Potterton replaced the PCB board and another set of electrodes in 2008.Problems started again this week,Bord Gais fitted new electrodes however problem still exists now they advise a new fan has to be fitted.Any advice would be appreciated.

What model is it??

I presume if it has given pcb problems it is probably a Suprima??

There is currently a grant available for replacement high efficiency boilers. See www.sei.ie/hes

• Registered Users Posts: 5 vivwoj2111

Thanks for reply,yes its a Suprima.I have downloaded details from SEI site and retrofit of boiler does not seem to be under Phase 111
    There seems to be a problem with Potterton boilers in general if you look at the UK forums

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Its a suprima problem. Afraid to say it but should be fine once the fan is fitted. The PCB and the fan is a well known problem on these models.

Thanks for reply,yes its a Suprima.I have downloaded details from SEI site and retrofit of boiler does not seem to be under Phase 111

I don't know what you mean by "phase 111" but i am currently retro fitting high efficiency boilers and controls under the HES scheme!

From the FAQ's on the HES scheme:

When might you NOT qualify for a Home Energy Saving scheme grant?

Depending on the scale or type of works being undertaken, the HES grant may not necessarily be appropriate for all homeowners. Homeowners will not qualify for a grant:
    • If your first grant application would be for less than €500. So if you are only intending to do attic insulation (€250) or blown cavity wall insulation (€400) on their own then you will not qualify for a grant
    • If you are installing a boiler with a typical efficiency <90% then you will not qualify for a grant
    • If you decide to simply install a boiler but not upgrade the heating controls to the minimum prescribed standard then you will not qualify for a grant
    • If you decide to simply replace your boiler but not upgrade the heating controls to the minimum prescribed standard then you will not qualify for a grant
    • If you wish to get a grant for a Building Energy Rating (BER) then you must undertake a BER both before and after undertaking the appropriate grant aided measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 vivwoj2111

Would you be interested giving me a quote

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I've a Suprima 40 which gave up the ghost yesterday.

Not the first time it's failed but I'm sick of getting it repaired(since 97) and the most recent fix was the new pcb.

I've started the ball rolling for a new energy-efficient boiler and will be avoiding Potterton.

Would you be interested giving me a quote

Check your pm's!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

parsi wrote: »
    I've a Suprima 40 which gave up the ghost yesterday.

Not the first time it's failed but I'm sick of getting it repaired(since 97) and the most recent fix was the new pcb.

I've started the ball rolling for a new energy-efficient boiler and will be avoiding Potterton.

NOTHING wrong with potterton since the suprima. Potterton and baxi are the same company. Prob 99.99% of gas boilers in dublin are potterton. They have a better penatration rate than a contraceptive ;)

Advertisement