Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical Tests in Ireland

Options
  • 22-10-2009 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Does anybody know of anywhere in Ireland that pays to do clinical/medical trials? A friend of mine from England has told me that its quite frequent for people in need of extra cash over there to participate and I've been looking around the internet but can't really find any from over here (I'm not crazy, just really broke!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭drzhivago

Aran508 wrote: »
    Does anybody know of anywhere in Ireland that pays to do clinical/medical trials? A friend of mine from England has told me that its quite frequent for people in need of extra cash over there to participate and I've been looking around the internet but can't really find any from over here (I'm not crazy, just really broke!)

Not any more
    Austin Darragh I think used to run this in the 1980's witha large clinical trials company

The trials in IReland tend to be more focussed and later stages in drug development so looking at patients

Thats my tuppenc

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

Shandon Clinic does this. See also Guinea Pigs Get Paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 jambosambo

The 1st one dosent work. And the second is for Nearly everywhere but ireland.

I cant find any myself been looking just to make some extra cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭northernpower

MDS in Belfast if its not too far out of your way, I know a few people that have gone there in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

The Shandon Clinic in Cork used to do them don't know if they still do. Everything from toothpaste to confirming the bio availability of drugs coming into the irish market. AFAIK they don't do true new drugs. The amount of money paid corresponds to the risk to you and the amount of your time required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

A lot of drug testing in humans is now done in India.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

echo beach wrote: »
    A lot of drug testing in humans is now done in India.

Not as much as you'd think, you have to run the RCTs in the country where you are seeking market approval.

Under EU law you are no longer allowed pay participants in a clinical trial, but you can claim back 'expenses' which is how some phase I centres (the type that use healthy volunteers) get around it, but you're looking at around 75 euro a day, perhaps a little more. Personally I wouldn't be administered with a novel compound and have hourly blood tests done all day for that little amount of money, but to each their own.

Advertisement