Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Test tomorrow - quick question

Options
  • 21-10-2009 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭

test in the morning
    qauick question on turn around, do you indicate before moving, instructor says no, the book i have says do ?

cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Before moving where?
    If you're making a left turn. Check your left mirror, indicate, check left mirror, turn.

EDIT:
    Apologies, misread your post. Yes indicate. You must indicate when moving from the kerb. You do not however have to indicate when doing the reverse around the corner manoeuvre.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

test in the morning
    qauick question on turn around, do you indicate before moving, instructor says no, the book i have says do ?

cheers

For the turnabout you MUST indicate before making the first movement, you should follow the full sequence of Check Mirrors, Signal, check blindspot!!, and if safe - move off.

For the Reverse part of the maneouver there is no requirement to indicate - your reversing lights are your 'indicators'.

For the final part to complete the turnabout there is no requirement to indicate, however if you do indicate right you will not be faulted.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭NU8

I have my driving test tomorrow morning and I was just wondering if I should adjust my mirrors (wing and rear-view) before the test begins when the tester is in the car?

Is this necessary even if I drove the car to the centre and the mirror will not actually need to be adjusted at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

NU8 wrote: »
    I have my driving test tomorrow morning and I was just wondering if I should adjust my mirrors (wing and rear-view) before the test begins when the tester is in the car?

Is this necessary even if I drove the car to the centre and the mirror will not actually need to be adjusted at all?

You should for no other reason that when you are in the test you should do everything possible to show the tester that you are aware of all of your surroundings and making sure that you can see all areas around the car. As a result it would be good to adjust the rear view mirrow, just give it a wee touch when you get in, the side mirrors are less important to be seen to adjust

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭NU8

frostie500 wrote: »
    You should for no other reason that when you are in the test you should do everything possible to show the tester that you are aware of all of your surroundings and making sure that you can see all areas around the car. As a result it would be good to adjust the rear view mirrow, just give it a wee touch when you get in, the side mirrors are less important to be seen to adjust

Thank you, that's been worrying me all day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

You do not however have to indicate when doing the reverse around the corner manoeuvre.
    ...or any other reversing. The idea being that your reverse light is your indicator. Having said that, you wont be faulted for indicating where it's not required, as long as it's not misleading.
    NU8 wrote: »

Just have a quick look and make sure no-one's bumped into them or anything, or if you move your seat forward and backward to fit in/out. Also it's a good habit that I wish I had, especially now that I don't have my own car. If I get into a car, invariably the mirrors are in an odd position and I'm halfway to my destination before I notice (which also says a lot about my observation but ahh well...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

DriveSkill wrote: »
    For the turnabout you MUST indicate before making the first movement,
    Is this absolutely true? I have been told that a signal is used to show to other road users my intention. Where there is no other road user to benefit from a signal a signal is not therefore necessary.
    By it's nature the turnabout manouevre should only occur in the absence of other traffic so strictly speaking, a signal would not be necessary.
    I would fully accept (and would teach, when qualified) that signalling in this situation is desirable, but only as a method of reinforcing good habits.
    I am using UK training DVD's as part of my ADI exams and they do not advise using a signal for the turnabout.
    Is it different for the test here?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

I signalled on the turnabout and wasn't faulted.

Completely agree, my question is, would you have been faulted had you not signalled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭stiff kitten

yes

• Advertisement

Yes, sure looks like it now on inspection.
    Interesting though, are there any other ways where the guidelines here differ from the DSA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 2010

loobylou wrote: »
    Is this absolutely true? I have been told that a signal is used to show to other road users my intention. Where there is no other road user to benefit from a signal a signal is not therefore necessary.
    By it's nature the turnabout manouevre should only occur in the absence of other traffic so strictly speaking, a signal would not be necessary.
    I would fully accept (and would teach, when qualified) that signalling in this situation is desirable, but only as a method of reinforcing good habits.
    I am using UK training DVD's as part of my ADI exams and they do not advise using a signal for the turnabout.
    Is it different for the test here?

Your SPOT ON loobylou

RSA testers have been thought to apply this rule as well.

A signal is used to warn other road users of your intentions.

if there is nobody to warn then the driver
    should not be marked for a no signal.
    provided the driver has taken proper observation to see this...

I'm not saying all rsa testers don't mark this as a fault,
    but they ARE supposed to apply this rule..

However
    As you said loobylou as an instructor i would be looking my pupil to use a signal every time regardless if there was nobody to warn.
    but only a method of reinforcing good habits and to be sure that the pupil just hasn't forgot to put it on.

2010, not sure from your reply.
    Will RSA testers mark not indicating (in the above circumstances) as a fault or not?
    I've checked their marking guidelines and there's no reference either way.
    The ROTR book says to signal "when joining traffic", so it's not exactly cast-iron either.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

The ROTR book says to signal "when joining traffic", so it's not exactly cast-iron either.
    Well if there's no traffic then you're not joining it, I suppose...
    By the way, don't forget that the ROTR book is not gospel. If you want to be certain how the law stands, you should check out the Road Traffic Acts and Statutory Instruments on IrishStatuteBook.ie, AttorneyGeneral.ie, Acts.ie or, even more reliable, by buying a copy in Government Publications (Molesworth Street, I think?).

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

The UK rules are slightly different in that they do put a lot more emphasis on signally when necessary. Therefore, you are correct in saying that for the UK if there is nobody to signal to then you dont need to signal!

However, for the Irish test I think the safer approach is to develop the habit of using the correct signals all of the time - it avoids the confusion and possible conflict with the examiners interpretation. Remember, you will not be faulted for using the correct signal even if there is nobody to signal to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 2010

Sorry loobylou I can’t speak for every individual tester, but they shouldn't’mark it..

As well as that the rsa marking guidelines state that every fault that occurs during the turnabout manoeuvre can ONLY be marked under the heading TURNABOUT, either competently, observation and right of way… testers cant mark under headings for gears, foot-brake, handbrake, accelerator, these faults would be marked under turnabout/competently and likewise a signal mark should not be marked under signal because it doesn’t come under the heading turnabout..

Totally agree with you driveskill…. its always safer and saves confusion and you definitely wouldn’t get marked for using a signal …when nobody’s around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭rubensni

Richie15 wrote: »
    Well if there's no traffic then you're not joining it, I suppose...
    By the way, don't forget that the ROTR book is not gospel. If you want to be certain how the law stands, you should check out the Road Traffic Acts and Statutory Instruments on IrishStatuteBook.ie, AttorneyGeneral.ie, Acts.ie or, even more reliable, by buying a copy in Government Publications (Molesworth Street, I think?).

You're kidding, right? What next? Bring your solicitor along for the driving test?

The rules of the road (updated version) are more then adequate for the driving test as that's what the guards and instructors use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭daddymick66

hiya, i was one of the first adi`s in ireland, you must by law indicate your intention to change your course in any direction,the english adi stuff is misleading in that regard, stick to studying the list given to you by the adi unit,
    best of luck with your exams

Thanks guys,
    One more scenario. You have done your left reverse around corner and stopped 4-5 carlengths into minor road.
    You wish to turn left again back into main road. Would you indicate right and then left? Would this not be confusing to other road users?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Thanks guys,
    One more scenario. You have done your left reverse around corner and stopped 4-5 carlengths into minor road.
    You wish to turn left again back into main road. Would you indicate right and then left? Would this not be confusing to other road users?

You are moving out from the kerb from a standstill, so you would check your mirror, indicate right, check blindspot etc and move out slowly onto the road and once on the road indicate left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

My driving instructor told me that at an RSA conference recently it was established that use of a signal during turnabout is optional, and will not lead to a fault in the test.

Advertisement