Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

carbon tax

Options
  • 21-10-2009 11:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭

looks like us rural dwellers that use out 4x4 s for work and play are to be fffffed again by this bunch of what ever you like to call them.

the city dwellers are getting tax of push bikes up to 45% ,rent a bike ,trams ,dart,buses,taxis, what do we get ? to pay for it.

if they want to get in a few euro tax the water in the towns and citys .us in the country side are paying for water schemes for years now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

Not rural myself, but in regards to 4x4's I'm very much on your side. My least favourite thing to see is a spotless Range Rover with road tires. Clogs up our streets, has absolutely no benefits over a car, and spits out more CO2 than you could shake a stick at.

That said, I'm not against 4x4s in general. Try pulling a horsebox up a slippery slope in a Cinqueciento, or driving a tractor on a motorway. This is what a 4x4 is for, it's not for if your driveway gets a few leaves in the Autumn when you have to bring the kids 50 meters to the school.

If they do bring in a carbon tax (and you know they will) the vehicle's use should be taken into account. If its job could be done by a more fuel-efficient, or less poluting, car, then go ahead and tax their shirts off. But if it's saving us having a tractor clog the road, then if anything, it should be encouraged!

I'm afraid I can't agree with you on the water though, I like having free water! :)

Advertisement