Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

King's Inns diploma 1st year

Options
  • 21-10-2009 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

A general question about the assignments:

AFAIK even the first assignment counts 20% of the overall mark. The results are not given until next June, and there's no feedback on the assignment whatsoever.

If someone has never studied law apart from attending lectures and tutorials over the past few weeks, and if the person has no lawyer in the family, what is the best way to get any ideas as to completing the assignments? Are assignments from previous years available to look at?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

There was a voluntary assignment given so that you could have a test run.

Maybe ask if you can submit it late?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

src wrote: »
    A general question about the assignments:

AFAIK even the first assignment counts 20% of the overall mark. The results are not given until next June, and there's no feedback on the assignment whatsoever.

If someone has never studied law apart from attending lectures and tutorials over the past few weeks, and if the person has no lawyer in the family, what is the best way to get any ideas as to completing the assignments? Are assignments from previous years available to look at?

There are books available on Legal Writing in Hogges Figgis. I believe there is an Oxford University Press one which is excellent.

Clarity, structure and research will give you what you need to succeed in relation to Inns assignments.

I don't believe there are assignments available in the Inns. Potentially there are previous exams.

The lecturers are all very approachable at the Inns, ask. The other aspect is that maybe you should seeing things in the following way:
    "I am in a class of similar people, who have also not written legal assignments before. I am not alone. Lets give it our/my best shot."

Not having a lawyer in the family might be a good thing ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 src

Thanks for the answers, and for the recommended books.

However, "The lecturers are all very approachable at the Inns, ask." sentence surprises me. On the opening day we were instructed NOT to talk to the lecturers directly, and in the description of the assignment we are told not to talk to anyone about the assignment, as it can result in a fail.

"Clarity, structure and research..." good points to remember!

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

src wrote: »
    On the opening day we were instructed NOT to talk to the lecturers directly, and in the description of the assignment we are told not to talk to anyone about the assignment, as it can result in a fail.

I can appreciate that the lecturers in the Diploma are under pressure to deliver a long syllabus. Having a pile of student approaching them instantly seeking guidance is not really appropriate. Use you tutorials.

I stand over what I say.

The assignment and not talking about it is to try and stop cogging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 src

Go raibh maith agat! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement