Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fog Lamps Not Working? [NOT a thread complaining about fog lamps]

Options
  • 21-10-2009 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hi, this may be a bit of a stupid question but should it be obvious (in good conditions, no fog) whether front fog lights are on or not? I think mine are not working, but it's been so long since I looked at them standing outside the car that I'm not sure! Is it the case that it can be difficult to see if they are on in normal conditions?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Now lads, let's not let this turn into a "Fog lights should only be used when it's foggy" thread.
    Have you not tried turning them on and stepping outside the car to see if they're working?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

fitzgese wrote: »
    Hi, this may be a bit of a stupid question but should it be obvious (in good conditions, no fog) whether front fog lights are on or not? I think mine are not working, but it's been so long since I looked at them standing outside the car that I'm not sure! Is it the case that it can be difficult to see if they are on in normal conditions?

Does your car have front fog lights? Most Irish cars are poverty spec and only have a single rear fog light on them. If you don't know if you have them or not you don't have them, unless you own a Nissan Micra :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

So you took the time to ask the question on boards instead of stepping out from behind the wheel and having a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭fitzgese

No, what I mean is (and this is where the question becomes potentially stupid):
    (i) I definitely have front fog lights
    (ii) I went out to the front of the car and looked at them
    (iii) I can't tell if they are working or not.

I assume they're not working, but what I want to know is that is if possible to not be able to see them in daytime, even though they are on? From the responses here I assume it'd be perfectly obvious if they were working.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I assume they're not working, but what I want to know is that is if possible to not be able to see them in daytime, even though they are on? From the responses here I assume it'd be perfectly obvious if they were working.

It is perfectly obvious to know either way...
    If you turn on the switch for the front fog lamps and turn on your dipped headlamps you should see them on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Did you remember to open your eyes?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Fog lights point down and left to help light the side of the road in foggy conditions. I have no difficulty in telling if mine are on or not when I turn them on.
    As for us being able to tell whether yours are working, PM me your address and I'll come around and check. You sit back and relax there! Maybe I'll make you a cuppa while I'm there - what kind of biscuits should I bring?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Turn on each lighting circuit one at a time - sides, dips, fogs, rear fogs.............the difference at the front of the car should be quite obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Yes you would be able to tell the differance in the daytime.
    Dont mind some of the other replies some people find it hard to be humble when their perfect and know everything there is to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 corriganalan

fogs will always be seperate from the headlights, near the bottom of the bumper if that helps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

fogs will always be seperate from the headlights, near the bottom of the bumper if that helps!

I was just about to ask what kind of car it was, as the MK1 Octavia has fog lights integrated in to the main headlamp cluster, intead of them being in the usual place of under the bumper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

R.O.R wrote: »
    I was just about to ask what kind of car it was, as the MK1 Octavia has fog lights integrated in to the main headlamp cluster, intead of them being in the usual place of under the bumper.

Same as the Citreon Xsara - '02 on model.

OP - what car have you got?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Same as the Citreon Xsara - '02 on model.

OP - what car have you got?
    Was just about to say that

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

Advertisement