Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology mark ups

Options
  • 21-10-2009 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭

Did anyone see that? 600 students got upgraded due to some error...only be announced today...I hope that won't affect anything for next year...My Mom said it might with places because so many people will be re-applying after the re-checks deadline shut last week for places didn't it? :( But talk about major f**k up by DoE...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

It's not going to affect anything, of the 600 upgraded only 44 would have gotten a different CAO offer and i'd say by this stage 90% of them would have taken their second choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Did anyone see that? 600 students got upgraded due to some error...only be announced today...I hope that won't affect anything for next year...My Mom said it might with places because so many people will be re-applying after the re-checks deadline shut last week for places didn't it? :( But talk about major f**k up by DoE...

To be fair, it wasn't a major fcuk up as you put it. A parent decided to argue the case against a definition on the Biology paper, the definition of predation. I haven't heard what their definition was in comparison to what was on the marking scheme and for some reason the SEC have relented and accepted it as an answer, and so have rechecked all the biology papers.

Now, I don't know why they have accepted this answer but I do know from going to plenty of marking conferences that all the possible answers and terms that could be given are debated at length by the correctors and head examiners at the conferences, and I would imagine that perhaps this parent's definition of predation had been suggested at the original conference and deemed not acceptable at the time for a valid reason. There has obviously been a turnaround there and so all the papers were rechecked not just those that appealed.

Students will not need to reapply for a recheck, it was done automatically. 44 students getting new offers will not affect the whole country, 56,000 people did the leaving cert. 44 people being offered a higher preference on their CAO across a wide range of courses is a drop in the ocean. Most will probably be settled in another course at this stage and not all of them will take up the offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I got such a surprise when they rang me to say my paper had been rechecked and I'd gotten a higher grade. But I remember seeing that question when I viewed my paper last August and being like "WTF?" about it being marked wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

so what happens now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

ayumi wrote: »
    so what happens now?

The world keeps turning, afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

like seriously r the students going to move from their courses and get higher leaving cert points

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Wasn't sure what you meant.

About 40 people got revised offers. If the course can accommodate them, they can switch staright away or take a deferred entry for next year. If the course can't accommodate them now, they get a deferred entry.

They can stay at their current course for the year if they want, and then decide whether to stay at it or restart with the deferred entry. They don't have to pay fees (as you normally would if you restarted a different course) and they don't lose the grant if they have it.

If they don't want to stick at their current course, they can travel the world until next September.

So it's not a bad position to be in if you're prepared to look on the bright side.

Advertisement