Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get a child's ears pierced!

Options
  • 21-10-2009 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭-lala-

My 6 year old daughter wants to get her ears pierced which we have said she can do after christmas, it will break my heart to see her little ears with earrings in them but it is something she wants and loads of other girls her age have them done.
    I read the post about not using a gun so where do I go to get a childs ears pierced, will a tattoist or piercer allow a child this young onto their premises, usually kids just get it done in the local chemist.
    I'm in Donegal if that is any help.

Wait about ten years, any competent piercer won't go near a 6-year-old's ears, and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

She may want to get them done, but then again, she is 6. She probably wants them done because all her friends have them done because their parents are probably twats. You're the parent, you have the ability to say NO if you don't think she's old enough. She may hate you for a while, but she's a kid. She's gonna hate you for something, eventually. But she'll get over it.

Just as examples, my sister had to wait till she was 16 I think because my mum said no. And my last GF got them done at 19. Not because her parents said she couldn't, but because she didn't want them done till then.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I'd just like to thank you for being informed, for reading the thread about piercing guns and deciding to not go down that road!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Well I thought this was the right place to come for advice, dident think I was going to get lectured on the piercings forum, remember what it feels like to be judged for your decisions to have piercings or tattoos. I know she is young, she may not even get them done soon, she seems to have forgotten about it for now but I wanted to find out the best way of getting it done if we are going to do it. If a gun is bad for an adult,it cant be good for a child, so I am looking for a child friendly piercer somewhere near my location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Mrs Fed

Well that is not a good reason to let her do it.

"she wants it and her friends have done it"

Who cares? It is horrible and vulgar, in my humble opinion.
    I wouldn't let my children do it at that age. I am an open minded mother, but i do feel and objectively have the resposnability of my kids.
    No way.

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

How are we supposed to give you advice when you delete your question after three replies?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Its amazing the way you dont want people to judge you for your choices, yet you are so quick to judge others on theirs.
    Are you as full of sh1t as the non tattooed and pierced people who look down on you?
    I came on here looking for advice from what I thought must be the most non judgmental community on here, man was I wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

No real piercer pierces kids for a reason.

Oh and tbh I couldn't give a **** if people judge me over my ink and piercings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Its amazing the way you dont want people to judge you for your choices, yet you are so quick to judge others on theirs.
    Are you as full of sh1t as the non tattooed and pierced people who look down on you?
    I came on here looking for advice from what I thought must be the most non judgmental community on here, man was I wrong.

If you'd read the charter you probably would have learned that we don't condone tattooing or piercing underage people.

People disagreeing with you or giving advice that you don't like does not make them "full of sh1t" as you so eloquently put it. It also doesn't mean that they're judging you.

You wanted advice and you received it- apparently what you wanted was sugarcoated advice and we just don't roll that way here.

I commend you for not going down the piercing gun route- but I'd also recommend that you not be so quick to fly off the handle when you get advice that isn't to your personal liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

If you feel there was a problem with any posts, then please feel free to use the "report post" link that is on the bottom left of each post.

I personally didn't think that anyone was being judgemental or looking down on you, in fact quite the opposite, most seemed to be commending you for doing the research and deciding that you didn't want to have her ears pierced by a gun.

The problem is that any self respecting (read any piercer that it's advisable to go to) won't pierce a child.

In saying that, if it is a simple lobe piercing that your child wants, and if they are insistent about it, talk to your child about how a gun works, and explain to them why it's so bad, and why it is much much better to get them pierced properly. If the child still wants their ears pierced, and if you are willing to let them (You do have the parental privilage of getting to set the rules!) then I say maybe call up some of the reputable piercing studios and talking to the piercer, explain the situation and see if they are willing to pierce the lobe for you.

You didn't specify where in Donegal you're from, so it's hard to advise a place to go, if it's around the Inishowen/East Donegal area, I'd say try "Ring-in-ma-thing" on Carlysle Road in Derry as being the best piercing place nearby.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

If you feel there was a problem with any posts, then please feel free to use the "report post" link that is on the bottom left of each post.

I personally didn't think that anyone was being judgemental or looking down on you, in fact quite the opposite, most seemed to be commending you for doing the research and deciding that you didn't want to have her ears pierced by a gun.

The problem is that any self respecting (read any piercer that it's advisable to go to) won't pierce a child.

In saying that, if it is a simple lobe piercing that your child wants, and if they are insistent about it, talk to your child about how a gun works, and explain to them why it's so bad, and why it is much much better to get them pierced properly. If the child still wants their ears pierced, and if you are willing to let them (You do have the parental privilage of getting to set the rules!) then I say maybe call up some of the reputable piercing studios and talking to the piercer, explain the situation and see if they are willing to pierce the lobe for you.

You didn't specify where in Donegal you're from, so it's hard to advise a place to go, if it's around the Inishowen/East Donegal area, I'd say try "Ring-in-ma-thing" on Carslyle Road in Derry as being the best piercing place nearby.
    On a completely random note, a kickboxing ref owns that place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

I got my ears pierced with I was 6.

one was pierced slightly lower than the other, but not overly noticable at the time.

As I grew, so did my ears and they got more and more uneven and looked like sh!t.

When I was 8, one of the stones fell out in my sleep, got stuck in my inner ear and caused an infection. An adult would have noticed the stone was missing and been concerned, being 8, I didnt notice and it took the doctor ages to figure out what was wrong.

In my opinion and experience, I dont believe kids are responsible enough to look after piercings.

I would have also much rathered a nice day out with my mam for maybe my 16th birthday than my 6th :rolleyes: to get them done, but thats just me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

the way I see it, it's kind of a catch 22, you want to do the right thing and get her ears pierced in a reputable studio, but being reputable studios, they wouldn't pierce a 6 year old! I certainly don't see any major issue with a child getting her ears pierced, I had mine done more than once as a child and I'm not about to be hypocritical now. However, you probably will find it difficult to find a piercing studio that will pierce a 6 year old. And from my own experience(and from threads on here) gun piercings are definitely not good.

Best thing is probably as Damo suggested, call some piercing studios and see if there's anything they can do. If that fails, well I guess it's up to yourself really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

I got my ears done with a gun at 7. I flipped out so bad the pharmacist just gave the gun to my parents and said do it at home, abd bring the gun back

back then, the studs were gold (you know the way everyone says "oh, I have sensitive skin - I can only wear gold..", my arse), and I had arse length straight hair. No one noticed when I developed a severe nickel allergy, which prompted my skin to grow THROUGH the backs of the earings. a year later, I had them surgically cut out.

At 7 I also came home and asked my parents for a house key and a string, when they asked why I told them that all the other kids were trying to hook onto big power lines using a key and string. Thank god my parents didnt give me that....

Also, I accept that people judge me for my choices, thats ok, because I am an adult....

Advertisement